WineBoard
Soon to be waiter know NOTHING about wine! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Soon to be waiter know NOTHING about wine! (/thread-18348.html)

- Ryan - 03-27-2000

Hi. I will soon be waiting tables at a fancy upscale resteraunt where I was told to brush up on my knowledge of wine. The problem is that I know absolutely nothing about wine and was hoping someone could recommend a web site or book that can give me the basics I need to know. Thank you for your help.

- Innkeeper - 03-28-2000

The best book on the subject I've ever seen was put out by the NRA (National Restaurant Association vice the guntotters) in 1980. It is called "Wine and the Bottom Line", by Edmund A. Osterland; ISBN 0-914528-10-6. It is an easy to read seventy nine page tome that covers the works, from general knowledge, to pronounciation, wine service, marketing, etc. Have used my copy in numerous training sessions, and it is worn and battered. Contact the NRA, 311 First Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20001, or www.restaurant.org , to see if they have it or an updated version of it.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-28-2000).]

- Thomas - 03-28-2000

Innkeeper, you have just made my day.

That is a good book. Ed is an old friend of mine. I used to work with him on his presentations to restaurants. He was the guy who started the training programs at the International Wine Center in New York City, the place that spawned the "Wine for Dummies" series.

- Bucko - 03-28-2000

Speaking of which, the two Wine for Dummies books would be worth a read for the total novice. "Windows on the World" wine course book is another.

Bucko

- Scoop - 03-28-2000

Yes, Mary Ewing Mulligan's "Wine for Dummies" series (there's also "White Wine", "Red Wine", and "Wine Buying Companion" -- all for "Dummies" -- IDG Books) is straight forward, clear and respected by the wine trade, too.

You could do worse.

Scoop

- Bucko - 03-28-2000

Hey thanks Scoop, I did not know that there were four Dummies books out. I knew about the red and white only. I'll have to send Foodie the other two so that he does not embarrass us.... :-)

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 03-29-2000

Do any of the Dummy books cover wine service? That is the most important thing that Ryan needs to learn.

- Thomas - 04-06-2000

Just back from VinItaly and here I find Bucko disparaging my stellar reputation....

Innkeeper got it right: I haven't read the dummies series (you all know why) but if it does not address wine service, the information will be incomplete.

- Zinner - 04-09-2000

Just to throw something into the mix...
There's a book called Exploring Wine by Steven Kolpan, Brian H. Smith and Michael A. Weiss that does cover wine service. These guys are wine educators at The Culinary Institute of America, so they spend their time training chefs and sommeliers.

In fact the books covers a wide territory from wine production(new and old world), tasting,wine and food to wine and health. I find it reader-friendly and informative, so you might want to take a look. I'd recommend it to both wine service folks and consumers.

It is published by Van Nostrand Reinhold.