WineBoard
"Homework Questions" - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: "Homework Questions" (/thread-18301.html)

- dananne - 04-08-2005

Without wanting to begin a big debate on this, I'd rather throw it out to see what others think.

Often on this board, someone will come on with questions that seem to be related to culinary school or the like. The questions seem to seek answers to questions that they've been assigned. At times, this will prompt an answer that asks the questioner to find out for him/herself. It seems to me, and it's just my opinion, that going onto the Web, finding a related site, and attempting to get an answer from those knowledgeable about the topic actually is doing the homework.

Again, it's just my opinion, and this post is not directed at any board members. One of the things I like best about this site is how courteous people are in how they share knowledge. For example, the most recent instance of this came this week with a board member questioning very politely whether a question was homework-related. I didn't find it discourteous, and the same poster has on numerous occasions gone out of their way to provide lengthy and detailed information directed at newbies. So, again, I'm not wagging my finger at anyone, just wondering how others feel about HW answers.

Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 04-08-2005).]

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 04-08-2005).]

- Drew - 04-08-2005

Initally I looked down on answering obvious HW questions but after self examination it doesn't bother me to answer any question. I'm not the homework police and unless we're told, we don't know the purpose of the question. I don't care what anyone uses my responses for.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 04-08-2005

Although I'm at odds with certain other people on this subject, I don't mind answering them. Some of them are tough!

- winoweenie - 04-08-2005

The only reticince I have is the fact the person asking the question has sidestepped the requisite grunt work to answer the problem, then really never learns what the course wants the student to garner. As a suggestion maybe the board can assign a thread for homewirk problems where we can either answer the question or point the student to the answer. WW

- Kcwhippet - 04-08-2005

I'm certainly not adverse to answering homework questions. However, it seems to me that fairly often the questions are just as easily answered by using keywords in a search engine, like yahoo or google. In fact, the answers would probably come easier. If someone asks a question that I feel would more than likely require more knowledge than the asker has in order to find a good answer, then I'm available. If the question is in the "duh" category, then I won't answer, because I figure if I have no problem answering the question then whoever asked it isn't using enough of their own energy trying to acquire some knowledge.

- Bucko - 04-08-2005

Like WW, I find it to be laziness if not prefaced properly. I wil be happy to try and answer someone who says "I have looked in texts and on a Google search for the answer to the following question without avail. Can anyone help me?" I'm not going to spoon feed someone though.

- wineguruchgo - 04-08-2005

If it is a question for the MS or MW course than yes. If it's a culinary student, no.

Very simple. I don't want to eat at their establishments.

You don't learn how to walk by sitting in a stroller.

[This message has been edited by wineguruchgo (edited 04-08-2005).]

- hotwine - 04-08-2005

I'm with Bucko. It's just too easy to ask a question of someone you may feel to be an "expert" to avoid doing pure research to find it yourself. Research involves a lot more than simply posing a question; it also involves assessing the credibility of sources and the pertinence of related issues. If a teacher assigns a question to a student, is that student doing research if he runs down the hall and asks the same question of another teacher? I don't think so.

- Innkeeper - 04-08-2005

Don't know if attribution is required anymore, and I wouldn't be suprised if is wasn't. But if it is, maybe we should ask (if we suspect homework) if they would attribute it to us.

- californiagirl - 04-08-2005

I agree that it may be easier to google for said answer. But maybe, a more relaxed atmosphere to ponder the question, puts others at ease and allows for a more honest discussion. I can't tell ya'll how many times I have called my dad about the most mundane things, to get an honest opinion.

This isn't the only board I chat with. I find it easier to post to relaxed, likeable, friendly people, than to just google. It reminds me of reports of yester-year. There wasn't really the internet to rely on. It was encyclopedias and libraries. More cold and certainly not filled with up to date experts.

- stevebody - 04-09-2005

I don't want to get all existential here but this forum IS one of the avenues of learning. It's the modern corrolary of information gathering via peer input and hands-on experience, in which learning from those around you is possibly the most effective way we learn anything. I've learned a lot of what I know about wine by hearing several opinions on things and then having to check for myself to see who was right. On certain topics - retailing for one - I haven't even had to check. I don't mind someone taking the shortcut of asking for my answer - as long as they recognize that I may be either dead wrong or slanted by my own tastes.

- wineguruchgo - 04-09-2005

I want to know what Georgie has to say. I believe she is an educator.

- wondersofwine - 04-11-2005

As is Dan of Dananne who posed this question.
And Californiagirl don't knock libraries as cold places (I'm a librarian). If we don't have the expertise, we know how to go about locating answers. I aced a computer security class once (after dozing through most of the class sessions) because it was an open-book exam and I know how to use an index and table of contents, etc. and had put post-its on pages I thought I might need to reference.

- Georgie - 04-11-2005

I, too, have given this some thought when those homework questions come up. I think that this forum is a source of information and its use can be considered research of a sort. However, as reliable as WE know we are, from the teacher's perspective, I'd really question our credibility. There is no way to verify the credentials of those who take part in a public forum such as this. So much of what can be found on the internet is poor quality or even false information. I would hope that the student cited a good variety of sources used. On the other hand if the assignment was to take a mini survey, or get opinions on a topic, this would be a dandy place to do so.

- Joel Deragon - 04-11-2005

As a culinary student my self, I feel that it is great that you folks are around to help out with some tough questions that we have. I feel your not doing my work for me but definetly giving me some good guidlines to lead me to the answers that I need. Sorry if I over steped any boundries but I do want to thank those you have helped me recently.

- wondersofwine - 04-11-2005

Your welcome, Joel.