WineBoard
When are certain vintages "released"? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: When are certain vintages "released"? (/thread-18270.html)

- leslie423 - 12-13-2001

I apologize in advance if this question has been covered before. I've tried to search but don't really know what to search on...

My question is, how do I find out when/if a particular vintage has come out yet? I understand that not all vintages/wines are "released" similarly. For example, the Beaujolais Noveau (sp?) is released immediately. But for reds that age, I've seen comments like "the 97 is current release..." How do you know what is the current release and when the next release will be coming?

Thanks in advance for any information. (Don't hesitate to tell me to "go read a book" - I hope to have one or two coming for Christmas :-)

- Innkeeper - 12-13-2001

Not to worry Leslie, we're here to help. Release is determined by wine type, region, and it some cases, by individual producers.

You don't state why you need this information. So will try to answer for you. When I walk into a wine store, the only thing about release dates I'm interested in is: are any of these too old? This primarily involves whites and Nouveau Beaujolais.

You will generally see white wine in the store a year or two after harvest. An exception is the Southern Hemisphere. In the second half of a given year, you will see current year vintage from the SH. You can buy '01 New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc right now. This is because they harvest six months before we do.

Reds generally are released two or three years after harvest. Reserve wines (they have no legal or formal definition) come out a year or two after the regular bottlings. For example reserve '97 cabs are being released now. Certain wines, usually those requiring further aging, are released much later. For example Brunello di Montalcino is released five or six years after harvest.

If you regularly visit your favorite wine store, or on-line wine stores, you will soon get the hang of it. As another rule of thumb. When you hear that a wine has been released, such as here on Board, or in a newletter or magazine; you can plan on it arriving in MA six to eight months later.

- leslie423 - 12-13-2001

Thanks Innkeeper. That does help. I guess the reasons I'm asking are several. The first and probably primary is that I'm just trying to figure some of this out.

I've only just started paying attention to vintages and am finding it adds a new wrinkle in trying to find very specific wines. I've also just started to get the hang of vintage charts and want to try and find some recommended years just to taste the difference. I've read that Tuscany had a very good year in 97 but I can't find too many 97s around - I'm trying to figure out if they've sold out at my stores or if they're not here yet so I can ask the right question. (I hate to sound this stupid in person. Annonimity is a wonderful thing.)

Hearing that it could take 6-8 months to get to Mass helps me get a feel for things as well.

This board has given me a good education and I appreciate you sharing your expertise. Thank you.

- Thomas - 12-13-2001

leslie, it is getting harder and harder to come by those Italian 97 vintages; they are running out.

Here is another reason to know about vintages: the Wine Spectator recently gave 1998/9 Pesquier Gigondas a 94 Rating--now, my distributor no longer has the wine in stock. I had been selling the 98 before the rating, but since the rating I am no longer able to get it. I can get the 96 from the distributor.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-13-2001).]

- leslie423 - 12-14-2001

Hi foodie, thanks for the input. I had also just read the rating for the 98/99 vintages. I don't necessarily put too much stock in the spectator ratings on individual wines (I think it would be easy to get hung up thinking a 91 is soooo much better than an 89) but since I am new to the whole vintage chart thing am really curious to decide for myself if there really is that noticeable a difference. In your opinion is there that big a difference or am I driving myself crazy for naught?

- Thomas - 12-14-2001

In my opinion, vintages matter, Spectator ratings do not. To add to your question: is there a difference between an 89 and a 90? Some trophy wine buyers won't touch a wine that does not rate 90 or above--plain stupid.

There are good vintages, bad vintages and mediocre vintages. A winemaker can either benefit from or screw up a good vintage, enhance or get in line with a mediocre vintage, and mostly do very little good with a bad vintage. But all said, the wine you like is the one you like--vintage and rating be damned!