WineBoard
Decanters - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Decanters (/thread-18155.html)

- erind - 12-04-2002

Hi, everyone. I am thinking of buying a decanter for my brother for Christmas - he is very much into wines, knows everything there is to know [so it seems], and is picky about his stuff. Could any of you tell me what makes one decanter better than another, and are there certain brands that are better than others? And is a $200 decanter significantly better than a $40 decanter?

Thanks,
Erin

- Bucko - 12-05-2002

A decanter just lets a wine breathe. You can spend a bunch on Riedels or considerably less on other brands such as Spiegelau. Myself? I went up to the grocery store, bought eight bottles of Paul Masson Burgundy in one liter decanter type bottles, dumped the wine down the drain and got myself some very functional decanters for $5 each.

- Innkeeper - 12-05-2002

Agree with Buckmeister 100%. There are two reasons for decanting. One is to be sure there no sediment in the wine. The other is to aerate it. I have seen very expensive decanters that had a mouth no larger than a wine bottle. This would require a funnel for task 1, and be no more effective than uncorking for task 2.

Whether you go the Paul Masson route or something fancier, just be sure it has a very wide mouth. And don't believe for a nano second that Bucko poured that PM Burgundy down the drain.

- Thomas - 12-05-2002

Agree with the above, however, if you are talking a gift to show affection, then you might want to think Riedel--for its status value, not so much for the decanting.

- Innkeeper - 12-05-2002

Bye the bye, Erind; welcome to the Wine Board!

- lizardbrains - 12-05-2002

Bucko, I gasped when I read that you poured it down the drain! At least TASTE the stuff!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] (So, thanks IK for setting us straight!)

After 3 years of marriage, I realized that the Waterford crystal pitcher I received as a wedding gift is actually a decanter! I knew NOTHING about wines when I got married (hey, I wasn't even 21!). Now that's a nice gift!!!

-Elizabeth

- Auburnwine - 12-05-2002

And if you keep wondering why I am no smarter than I am, it's due to my keeping Bourbon in a decanter for several years. The lead in the crystal is said to leach into the liquid.

- hotwine - 12-05-2002

Waterford is beautiful stuff. We have several of their decanters, as well as crystal servings. But it's 24% lead, so we rarely use it for anything other than decoration.

- Innkeeper - 12-05-2002

You do not, repeat not have to worry about using a lead crystal decanter. It won't be in contact with the wine long enough for any leaching even if you let it breathe for a couple of hours. Now, keeping your Bourbon in it for a year or two; that's another story.

On the other hand, what's a little lead on the brain going to do to people like us any way?

- Jackie - 12-05-2002

Erind,

We have a couple of nice decanters available at the WINES.COM Wine Lovers' Gift Shop. Se http://wines.com/store

A favorite is the Vindel® 72 oz.Magnum Decanter (on sale for $49.95). Look under Gift Ideas.

The Duck Decanter (see Glassware) is also very functional and attractive but more expensive.

Jackie

- hotwine - 12-05-2002

Yeah, I know, if the juice's exposure to lead is brief, there's no problem. How-some-ever....I kept my Glenlivet in a Waterford ship's decanter for several years, until finally learning that could be a huge problem. So now, the decanters just take up space in the china cabinet (or whatever it is she calls that danged French antique thingy).

- sharktanq - 12-06-2002

Got for my birthday the Reidel Decanter. Wine Enthusiast has it listed at $169 (me thinks)...anyway, I had the cheap-o decanter, and OH, what a diff. The cheap-o now sits quietly on the shelf, looking out at the Reidel...I can imagine the Reidel turning and sticking it's tongue out. HA HA...anyway, I was so impressed with the Reidel. When pouring the wine into the decantur, it cascades into the bottom like a beautiful waterfall, and has a large flat surface for the wine to mature. Although the price was really hard on the pocketbook, IMHO, well worth it...

- Bucko - 12-06-2002

For all of you Waterford decanter people, I read some articles on lead leaching from crystal. It is time limited. You can 'cure' a decanter by filling it with acidic liquid, letting it sit, pour out the liquid and keep repeating. How long? Don't know.
The pattern of release of lead (Pb) from crystal was investigated using new and used decanters. Two decanters in use prior to this study yielded significantly less Pb into sherry than did a decanter during its initial use. Pb concentrations in sherry after storage for 2 months reached 50, 163 or 1410 micrograms/litre in decanters previously used for 20, or for 10 yr, or a new decanter, respectively. The new decanter imparted progressively less Pb through normal use. Pb concentration was assayed in sherry during a series of three separate sampling periods, each 2 months in duration. The Pb concentration at the end of each period was 1410, 330 or 150 micrograms/litre respectively. These data are consistent with ceramic chemistry theory, which predicts that leaching of Pb from crystal is self-limiting exponentially as a function of increasing distance from the crystal-liquid interface. The results of this investigation support the concept that sufficient ageing of Pb crystal prior to use reduces, to acceptable levels, the human health risk to adults associated with consumption of beverages stored in Pb crystal decanters.
We measured the concentrations of lead leached into 4% acetic acid, white port, and a synthetic alcoholic beverage that were stored in lead crystal decanters for 1-, 2-, and 10-day periods at room temperature. In decanters from 14 different manufacturers, measured lead concentrations ranged from 100 to 1800 micrograms/L. The pH of the leaching medium is probably the dominant factor determining the extent of lead leached, with greater leaching occurring at lower pH values. The consumption of alcoholic beverages stored in lead crystal decanters is judged to pose a hazard.
In a study of the elution of lead (Pb) from crystal decanters and glasses, port containing 89 micrograms Pb/l was placed in decanters and the Pb content of the wine rose steadily to 3518 micrograms/l after 4 months. Wines and spirits stored in crystal decanters for a long time contained Pb at concentrations up to 21,530 micrograms/l. In a short-term experiment white wine eluted small amounts of Pb from crystal glasses within minutes.

- hotwine - 12-06-2002

Thanks, Herr Doktor Buckmeister. I much appreciate the good solid data.

- lizardbrains - 12-08-2002

Hmmm... that's really interesting - about the crystal glasses. I am actually glad now that I don't have any fine crystal glasses! I am very content now to just have glass glasses to drink my wine in!!!

As far as the crystal decanter... I hadn't even thought about using it with acidic things to get rid of some of the lead. I will get it out and start pouring things in it, let it sit, and then pour down the drain (not wine, of course!!!). Perfect use for all those lemons on my lemon tree that I have no idea what to do with!

Thanks for the good factual info!

- Jackie - 12-10-2002

Thanks Bucko for the good information.

BTW, the magnum decanter I mentioned above is LEAD-FREE crystal.

Jackie

- Bucko - 12-10-2002

I just ordered six decanters from Jackie (no promo, just good prices). I'll miss my Paul Masson "decanters." (wiping tear from eye)

- Drew - 12-11-2002

I heard the switch was due to your new decorating theme for the new house....let us know how those 64oz Smuckers jelly jars function as decanters.

Drew