WineBoard
Unchilling a Chilled Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Unchilling a Chilled Wine (/thread-18102.html)

- G.Laurenceau - 12-10-1999

Hello,
Not much of a dark red wine drinker.. so when friend are coming over I tend to serve something like a White Zinfandel or Simi Rose of Cabernet Sauvignon. As a novice, that is what I know best. My problem is that I am in the habit of putting more bottles than I need to in the refrigerator for chilling. When the social event is over and knowing that I may not need the extra bottles for awhile, I am not sure what to do with it afterwards. If I allow the bottle of wine to go back to room temperture, does that harm the wine at all? Or should I continue to leave it in the refrigerator? What's your opinion?

- Jerry D Mead - 12-11-1999

For the kind of wines you're talking about, I don't think they will suffer great damage whichever way you do it. I'd just leave them in the fridge if you plan on drinking them within a few weeks...probably take them out if it's going to be longer.

- G.Laurenceau - 12-13-1999

Thanks, I will do that!

- Kayden - 12-18-1999

Is there a problem with leaving a red wine in the fridge too long (un-opened)? I like to keep a bottle chilled because you never know what someone likes when they come over. Didn't think it would be bad for the wine.

- Randy Caparoso - 12-19-1999

There was a big hullabaloo about this subject a few months back on this site. While many connoisseurs would cringe at the thought of a wine remaining in the refrigerator more than two or three days without being drunk, I also know many connoisseurs who think nothing of leaving a bottle of Champagne, or reds and whites, in refrigerators for months on end "just in case." In my own experience, I find that wines come out no worse for the wear and tear of short term refrigeration.

But keep this in mind: the theory is that wine is ideally stored (for optimal maturation) at around 55 to 65 degree F. temperatures, with average to high humidity, and free of vibration and fluctuations of any sort. Wine stored just above freezing (say, 45 to 55) more or less don't do anything -- sort of like suspended animation. The low humidity in fridges, however, could cause natural corks to shrink and thus cause oxidation (resulting in loss of flavor and freshness). But the fact is, it might even be smarter to store wine for short periods in refrigerators -- if (and only if) your normal room temperature exceeds 75 or even 85 degrees. Better too cold than too hot.

Therefore, I think this is the best way to look at it:

1. You should have nothing to fear if you store wine in the fridge for two, three, or even four months. Beyond that, you're taking a chance. You're better off finding a relatively cool, dark, sedate spot in the house, and pull as necessary.

2. If you're going to keep wine in the fridge, to minimize potential harm you should store the wine on its side to keep the corks wet and expansive. Of course, if your bottles have artificial corks, it won't matter -- right side up or upside down, low humidity won't affect them.

No worries!