WineBoard
1999 Ferrari-Carano Merlot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 1999 Ferrari-Carano Merlot (/thread-18054.html)

- mallets4 - 12-27-2002

Good choice? I was in a specialty wine store and a worker there suggested it. I paid 22.00 for it.

I have a friend coming today that likes Merlot. Please reply with email, as I'm in a hurry if I need something different!

Thanks

- winoweenie - 12-27-2002

Hi Mallets 4 and I've found it very hard to send an e-mail as your profile has " No current E-mail ". SAnswering your question....ANYTHING from Ferrari-Carano is GOOOOOODD!! WW Happy! WW

- mallets4 - 12-28-2002

Thanks for the reply.

We discovered that you are so right. That bottle was amazing.

Thanks again!

- mallets4 - 12-29-2002

hmmmmmm.........

My profile is set to show my email address. I wonder why it isn't showing?

- winoweenie - 12-29-2002

You mite wanna' go back and modify that sucker. Just thot may be I was playing in the wrong key. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 12-29-2002

Doesn't Jackie have email turned off?

- mallets4 - 12-29-2002

I am getting email notification when someone posts a reply, so that's not a big deal after all.

I really liked this merlot, and I am glad the store worker suggested it. As a novice, it would tempting to buy a name that I know, like Mondavi, and I would miss the small bottlers great stuff! I welcome any suggestions you may have for a Cab, Pinot Noir, Syrah, or Beaugolais (sp?). Also, how long can I keep a bottle like that Ferrari Carano - will it be as good 6 months from now? A year or more?

Thanks! This site is a tremendous help in my wine education!

- winoweenie - 12-30-2002

Hi Malls and in answer, the determining factor in keeping wine is the place where you keep it. If you have a closet with fairly stable temps, or better still a basement, you'll have no problem keeping a bottle of the F.C. quality a year. If you have controlled storage (wine closet or cellar) then the wine will hold for it's life-expectancy.( Opened a 90 Ferrari-Carano Reserve last nite from my cellar.) If you store it in a cabinet in the kitchen above the stove, open it by next Tuesday. WW

- wondersofwine - 12-30-2002

To give recommendations it helps to know if you like full-bodied or lighter wines and the price range you prefer. One of my favorite cru Beaujolais is Fleurie, and a 1999 or 2000 should be drinking well. I have more experience with Australian shiraz than with French or American Syrah. In the less expensive category, I like Rosemount Hill of Gold Mudgee Shiraz. In a $30-$40 range I like Jones "LJ" Shiraz or Kay "Hillside" Shiraz among others. Most cabernet sauvignon wines improve with a little age. (WW is drinking 1994 cabernet now). Since it would be hard to find (and expensive) to obtain 1994 vintage, you might try a few from 1998. Not a great vintage, but less tannic, and therefore ready to drink sooner. Sequoia Grove and Robert Mondavi Napa Valley cabernet sauvignons are two I've had from 1998 that are drinkable now. Sterling is another. Pinot Noir wines vary so much in the U.S. and people's tastes for styles vary too so I hesitate to recommend them. I personally like Byron Pinot Noir (Santa Maria Valley, CA) in the less than $30 range, and Siduri Pisoni Pinot Noir and some Oregon pinot noirs in the $40-$50 range. Argyle Pinot Noir from Oregon is under $20 a bottle (if not the reserve or specific vineyard) and is a very nice one. Innkeeper recommends the Robert Talbott Logan Pinot Noir from the Sleepy Hollow Vineyard, under $20 a bottle. Let us know what reds you try and enjoy and that may lead to further recommendations.

- mallets4 - 12-30-2002

Thanks for the info!

Most of the wines I've had have been under $30 a bottle, but I'm not against checking out a few bottles in the 40-60 dollar range.

I'll look for some of the things you mentioned.