WineBoard
Gallo Sonoma - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Gallo Sonoma (/thread-18039.html)

- sharktanq - 09-25-2002

Well, I can't find the original post, but on the string, a few of you out there were ranting about a wine that I, on a whim, bought, drank, and thoroughly enjoyed! It was the 1997 Gallo Sonoma Barelli Creek Cab. I found it at BevMo, for $20.00. Should have bought the only other one they had... thanks!

- Innkeeper - 09-25-2002

Here's the thread Shark, and most of the comments are positive: http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum9/HTML/000228.html

- Kcwhippet - 09-25-2002

Sharktanq,

There are some really good wines very local to you that you should try, if you haven't already. Concannon's been a long time producer of Petite Sirah that's unheralded, but canbe quite nice. Murrieta's Well has Vendimia Red and a really nice Zin. There's some nice stuff coming from Ivan Tamas, Fenestra, Chouinard and a few others all in your neighborhood.

KC (former Livermore resident)

- sharktanq - 09-30-2002

I'm a huge fan of Concannon Wines. I have some very nice older Concannon wines that I have collected in thier Collector's Club. Ivan Tomas has a superb Sangiovese (I had Ivan sign a bottle during the Livermore Valley Harvest Festival last month). I like Steven Kent, he has a very nice cab that should do well after some aging. I don't really care for Murrieta's Wells Vendimia Red, nor do I care for their attitude there either, but life has taught me to try things at least twice, because someone is allowed to have a bad day. My wife and I have been saying that we want to go to Fenestra, but never find the time anymore...

- sharktanq - 10-16-2002

KC,

Well, the time has finally come for my wife and I to venture out a little more on Tesla Rd. We have a couple that we met at Garre a few months ago coming in from Canada. They love Livermore, and when we met, we closed the place down. So we are going out this weekend to taste the other wineries we have missed. Fenestra, Coyne, etc. Going back to Steven Kent and Ivan Tamas though...I'll let you know my increased footprint of wineries in the area...

- wondersofwine - 10-16-2002

I look forward to your report.

- sharktanq - 10-21-2002

Well the weekend was set. Low 70's, not a cloud in the sky, hangover from Friday night worn off...and our guests from Canada, arriving "on time." We started out to Eckert Estate (www.eckertestate.com). Small, friendly, and unpretentious. No charges for tasting. Picked up their Lodi Petite Sirah 2000. Really floated all over my tongue. Blackberry really significant. Next we were off to Retslaff Vineyards (www.retzlaffwinery.com). $3.00 for tasting. Neat place. Looked like a step back in time, old creeky tasting room, lot's of fun. Wasn't over joyed with their wines, except they were tasting a 2000 Noah's Lodi Zinfandel, which we picked up. From what I understand, Noah is the son of the wine maker/owner of Retzlaff and he grew the grapes in Lodi, and shipped them to Yountville under his new winery. Forgot to write notes on this one. We were then off to Murietta's Well. As I mentioned before I wasn't happy the last time I went, but thought that I could see if they had an off day the last time I visited. $5.00 for tasting. 4 Wines to taste. Again, not impressed with the wines, OR their attitude there. Although their 1997 Zinfandel was very good. I didn't think I would buy anything from them. I didn't write notes on this one either, but if I had, I would have tossed it in the waste basket on the way out. So we were off to Ivan Tamas, and Steven Kent (www.tamasestates.com & www.stevenkent.com). No charges for tasting. My wife and I just love the 1999 Ivan Tamas Estates Sangiovese. Excellent blend of oak and cherry flavors. Very pretty color. Good replacement for a Merlot. Had a dreadful 1998 Ivan Tamas Cabernet Sauvignon. Tasted of cork. We asked if we could try a fresh bottle, and experienced the SAME thing. We were confided in by one of the assistants that this was typical for that wine. That the grapes were picked too early. However, this was followed by a deliciosly developed wine. Another 1998 Ivan Tamas Sauvignon but the Livermore Valley Appellation. We immediatly noticed the differnence, even when it was pouring. Deep dark color, velvety appearance, smelled wonderful of cherries and berries. Tasted awesome on the lips, tongue and had a wonder hint of coffee. A HUGE comparrison to the previous tasting. That was for us, a MUST buy. (of course along with the Sangiovese). Finally we tasted the Steven Kent choices. Liked the 1998 Cabernet Sauvignon, but a bit too pricy for what we were willing to spend. Besides, it really needs to lay down for a few years more. Our final destination was off to White Crane Winery (www.vineyardinn-craneridge.com). No charges for tasting. The winery also has an upscale bed & breakfast! They closed at 4:30 P.M., we got their a few minutes past, but we talked Nick Nardolillo, the owner and wine master into letting us barge in. They have two labels, White Crane, and Winery 21 (Winery 21 means, it's the 21st winery in Livermore Valley), the budget priced wines. Fell in LOVE with the Winery 21 1998 Cabernet Sauvignon. Excellent price. I think it was $10 - $11. We picked up three. We also loved the 2000 Cabernet Franc, which was creamy, fruity and just wonderful. We picked up two. They also make a White Crane 2000 Late Harvest Zinfandel, which was very port like. Yummy! 1 more bottle, and a White Crane 2001 Estate Chardonnay Port. Again one more bottle. My wife doesn't care for Chardonnay OR Port, but she really loved this one. Added with a Heavy, spicy blue cheese was just wonderful. Finally we had a White Crane Futures Port. This baby was smooth, clean, excellent aftertaste, and just enough warmth in it to know it was a port. YUMMY!! So we picke up two more bottles. Futures, should be ready in the next few months. I am so excited to add it to my Port collection and introduce my friends to Port this Christmas.

END REPORT [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 10-21-2002

Sounds like a fun time for all. WW