WineBoard
Some basic Questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Some basic Questions (/thread-17914.html)

- yclim - 01-11-2002

Hi, I started to be interested in wine 1 month ago when my friend opened a bottle of red. It was fantastic, thus arousing my curiousity. I was surfing the net for more info on wine when I stubled upon this forum. This forum is great and extremely informative.

I have a few questions though:

(1) How should one keep wine at home(other than keeping it in a cellar or one of those special boxes) What is the ideal enviroment etc etc....(nb I stay in Singapore which experiences high humidity and avg temp 30c)

(2) How long should one consume the wine after buying off the rack. I have been looking around, some of the wines have labels saying that the wine could be kept for 3 mths after purchase, some 1 yr and others 2yrs. How can I know how long the wines can be kept.

(3) I realise alot of you recommend newbies to start out with Beaujolais. Is Beaujolais a short-lived wine? I have trouble finding it here in Singapore. Any other recommendations?

That's for now. SOrry for being so wordy Tongue

- Innkeeper - 01-11-2002

Hi Yclim, and welcome to the Wine Board. It really isn't necessary to "keep" or "age" any wine. A small rack that holds ten or twelve bottles that will drunk over a month or two can be kept anywhere.

If you feel that you have to store wine, do it in the darkest, coolest place in your abode. Since it is likely that temperatures still won't be ideal you will have to reduce the estimated aging time for the wines.

As we have repeatedly stated here, the overwhelming percentage of wine made in the world can be drunk upon release. This includes almost all whites and rose's, and the majority of reds. If it tells you on the label, so much the better, but with a little reading and a little practice you come to know individual wines.

I imagine that you get alot of Australian wine there. The Aussies have a reputation for releasing approachable wine. Unless you pay well in excess or $20 U.S. for a Australian wine, it is ready to drink with few exceptions. Italian wine that isn't Barolo, Barbereso, or Brunello is also ready to drink for the most part.

Sorry you can't find Beaujolais there. It is a good place to start with red wine. You should have lower priced Australian Shiraz there, and that is also a good place to start with the reds.

- yclim - 01-11-2002

Hi IK, thanks for your prompt reply. It certainly did enlighten me.

Yes, I do see quite abit of Aussie wines here. Do you have any recommendations??

I have tried 2 bottles by Wyndham Estate (Shiraz Bin 555 and Pinot Noir Bin 333) They were disappointing as they were quite hard to go down the throat. (Maybe I haven't learnt how to appreciate them Tongue) As far as I could remember, they were very 'acidic'.

I recently bought 2 bottles from Wolf Blass (Carbernet Sauv. 2000 yellow label and Cabernet Sauv. 1999 Presidents Selection) Any experiences with any of these wines??

Is there any particular Aussie wine I should keep a look out for??

- yclim - 01-11-2002

Hi, I was checking out Whyndham Estates' website. I realise they rarely ferment their wine in barrels, they use a static fermenters instead. Is they why it tastes
'different' and give their wine an 'acquired-taste'??