WineBoard
This heat! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: This heat! (/thread-17871.html)

- nowallflower - 06-16-2005

Hello everyone,
I am new.. this is my first post.. I love this forum.. and have lurked and read ALLOT, the last few days. I am in need of a few suggestions for white wines that are good for a summer patio party... It is VERY steamy here (Orlando) right now... so I need something that will stand up to the heat... I don't have much experience with white wines... (Merlot and Shiraz girl here!)... Suggestions would be wonderful... also I have heard of a wine I am trying to find... it, I believe is called Vinho Verde... ?from Portugal I believe, does anyone have any experience with this wine, or know where to find it? (I order on-line, too)... I like to freeze grapes to use as "ice" in my wine bucket.. anyone have any other fun, interesting ways to keep your whites cold?

Thank you!

- wondersofwine - 06-16-2005

Welcome to the board. We hope to hear from you frequently.
I've had Vinho Verde in Portugal but don't know where it's available in your area. You could call a wine retailer in your area and ask if they carry any. I like Rieslings and Sauvignon Blanc (without storage in wood barrels) in the summer along with rose' wines and lightly chilled Beaujolais or Pinot Noir. A nice Vouvray from the Chenin Blanc grape is another alternative. White Port is also good as an aperitif in warm weather. Best to keep the white wine in an ice bucket on the patio in this kind of heat because most of them will not be very tasty at sauna temperature. I like your frozen grapes idea--may have to borrow that one.

- nowallflower - 06-16-2005

Hi Wonders, thank you for the quick reply... I will stock some Rieslings and Sauvignon Blanc, I am curious.. will the bottle inform me if the Blanc has been stored in wood barrels? (I am very new to wines... I have allot to learn, and am enjoying every minute of it!) Any bottle of the S.V. in particular you love? I am having a small group and would like 6 or 7 special bottles... my price range is around $15-$30 a bottle... I am also excited.. I just found the Vinho Verde on line:
http://www.plazacellars.com

I understand these are slightly fruity?.. they are not overly sweet are they?
Thanks a bunch!

- wineguruchgo - 06-16-2005

Hello Flower,

Rieslings have a tendency to be sweet yet the key to them is the finish. If you like a dryer finish (which I'm assuming because you like reds) then I would go for the Rieslings from Alsace, France. Any reputable wine store, including plazacellars should have them.

Another really nice wine in summer is a bordeaux blanc. This is usually sauvignon blanc and semillon. Really, really good. Not too sweet, not too dry. Also if you can find wines from the Rhone that have Viognier, Marsanne and Roussane in them. Again, retailer will be able to direct you.

So many wines....so little time!

Let us know what you had and what you thought of them!

- hotwine - 06-16-2005

Welcome to the board, Nowallf. Look for Arca Nova Vinho Verde at your local wine shops. I got the '01 at an upscale shop last year at the cheapo price of $8.... it's clean and crisp, a tad lemony and spritzy.... perfect for a summer sipper on the deck or around the pool. Be sure to serve cold. Only 10% alc/vol. Other possibilities include Tommasi Pinot Grigio, about $11 (had one tonight with grilled amberjack and scallops), and a Sauvignon Blanc. On the low end of the SB, look for Kendall-Jackson, about $8; on the upper end, a Sancerre from the Loire Valley of France is very nice; we like Dom. de la Rossignole (price is unknown now, due to exchange rate fluctuations). The Deerfield Ranch SB from Cal. is also very nice, at about $14. Lots of choices.

- Kcwhippet - 06-16-2005

Casal Garcia makes a really nice Vinho Verde, and I've seen it in MA, NY, CA and VA, so I'm going to hazard a guess that it's most likely available in FL, also. The price is good, too, at about $6.

- jmcginley1 - 06-16-2005

What is the grape in Vinho Verde? I have to be honest here, I know next to nothing about the grapes growing in portugal other than those used in port.

Thanks!

- Drew - 06-17-2005

New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are very nice and many are little $. If your concerned about over oaked SB and see Fume Blanc on the lable,run away...run away [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img].

Drew

- wineguruchgo - 06-17-2005

I'm taking this out of "The World Atlas of Wine"

Although most Vinho Verde is made from a blend of grapes typically incuding Azal, Loureiro, Trajadura, Avesso and some Pedernao (Arinto) some of the best is made from the white Alvarinho grape grown around Moncao. Yes, it's the same grape as Spains Albarino.

Alvarinho grapes can produce CREAMY, rich wines with complex flavors of apricots, peaches, and citrus

- jmcginley1 - 06-17-2005

aaah okay, I've had good experiance with Albarino, so I guess Vihno Verde is added to that growing list of things I need to try.

- wondersofwine - 06-17-2005

I love some of the Sancerre (France) Sauvignon Blanc and also some from New Zealand (Kim Crawford, Selaks are a couple I like). From California, St. Supery is a reliable producer (under $20 a bottle). It is carried at my grocery store so you might find it there. Austria also produces some nice dry Rieslings and they may be less expensive than those from Alsace. I really enjoyed a Brundlmayer Riesling at a restaurant in Washington, DC.

- nowallflower - 06-17-2005

Wow.. thank you to everyone!!.. I am so excited!!! I have not tried the Sancerre.. I have also heard about it... from a local restaurant. You have all given me such wonderful recommendations! It is only 10am here and I want a glass of wine!!!

I am also moving my (very small) wine collection (about 8 bottles) from my kitchen (SORRY!) to my closet... I don't have a cellar or basement (does anyone in Fl?).. but I am thinking my closet on the tile floor should be cool enough.. for now... I wondered.. I saw many recommendations to keep wines under 65 deg on the board... but what about wine stores?... the majority of the wine is out on racks.. and I would wager it is warmer than 65 deg. in most of the stores..

I have discovered I love Australian wine... We had (my husband and I) a bottle of Wirra Wirra Church Block, at a local very nice steak house (Charlie's for any Florida readers!).. and I could not believe how much I loved it... It was a mixture... Such a wonderful, rich, complex wine.. with a very deep purple color… I have got to go over to the Australian forum and check out other recommendations...

Hey.. I am making Key Lime Chicken Picatta this weekend… I may try some of the SV Blanc with it?
Any other ideas!?

So lovely to be here…