WineBoard
wine suggestion - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: wine suggestion (/thread-17815.html)

- colleenk - 01-29-2007

I was invited to a friend's engagement party and was asked to bring a bottle of wine. She si beginning to collect wines for her wine cellar. I want to get a special wine who's name might reflect something about our frienship. Any suggestions? One friend recommended a wine called something like Zee Frenz--(we friends).

- Innkeeper - 01-29-2007

Hi Colleen and welcome to the Wine Board. A nice wine to for a celler that will mature rather quickly but still need some age is a Crozes Hermitage. The '02s and '03s had some problems, but if you get her an '04 it will be ready in two or three years.

- colleenk - 01-29-2007

Thanks for your suggestion.

- wondersofwine - 01-29-2007

I was going to suggest Torbreck Les Amis (Les Amis is French for "the friends"), an Australian wine, until I looked at the prices ($189, over $200, etc.).

- colleenk - 01-29-2007

Well, that's the idea just not the price range. thanks.

- winoweenie - 01-29-2007

My friends gave me "Bad Ass Red". Not suggesting just reporting. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-29-2007).]

- wdonovan - 01-30-2007

Cute name rarely equals "special" wine (there are a handful of exceptions as noted above). If she's starting a cellar, she probably would think "good" wine equals "special". How 'bout a nice vintage Champagne? Hang a small card around the neck on string saying something like "To be drunk on your first anniversary". Even a nice nonvintage would work and would benefit from the 12 months in the "caves". Choices might be: Paul Georg NV rose brut or Nicolas Fueillatte NV brut (~$25), Paul Georg brut Millesime, Mumm's Cordon Rouge, Perrier Jouet Grand Brut (~$30), Veuve Cliquot (or) Bollinger (or) Roederer NV brut (~$40). Vintage selections start a little higher and might include: 1999 Veuve Cliquot vintage brut ($60), 1999 Veuve Cliquot brut rose ($65)... up to 1996 La Grande Dame ($135) and beyond. I sure wouldn't mind getting another bottle of Grande Dame and might even be inclined to invite the donor for it's popping.
All wines I listed are avail about 20 minutes south of you at Total Wines (hope I can say that). If the name of the store doesn't appear here, email me & I'll shoot you the name.

- colleenk - 01-30-2007

To wdonovan--thanks for all of the sugggestions. My freind has invited many people to her engagement party and asked that guests bring a gift for her wine cellar. She's going to receive many bottles of wine and champagne so I'm thinking that a bottle of wine would be a better idea because then she's not limited to only a 12 month span. Does that sound like a good idea?

- wdonovan - 01-30-2007

Sorry if I misled you. Champagnes don't expire in a year. I have Nv Champagnes in my cellar 5 years old and vintage Champagnes going back to 1989.