WineBoard
looking for Bonny Doone Framboise - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: looking for Bonny Doone Framboise (/thread-17814.html)

- winedope - 11-14-2001

I love this wine, Bonny Doone Framboise, but none of my local suppliers carry it any longer. Rhode Island does not allow private parties to ship wine into the state, so even if I could find a distributor, it would have to be somewhere nearby, as I would have to pick it up. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I am also looking for a 1997 Niebaum-Coppola Chardonnay, NOT the Diamond label series, but can't find it locally. Any ideas ? Thank you.

- Innkeeper - 11-14-2001

Hi Winedope, and welcome to the Wine Board. According to www.wine-searcher.com the closest merchant for your Framboise is Park Avenue Liquor in New York. They want $12 for a 375 ml bottle. That is $2 more than everyone else. Your chardonnay is available from a few merchants on the searcher too. They are '98s though, and since that one is not an ager, it would be a better vintage for you. Our advice is to go ahead an order from one or two of those guys, and see what happens. Remember they can put them, but not you in jail, and probably not them. This is war.

- cpurvis - 11-15-2001

...And a war worth fightin' !!

cp

- winedope - 11-15-2001

again- thanks for the info- anyone know what the legal problem is about shipping wines to certain states- ie. Rhode Island ? What are the penalties and who incurs them ?

- mrdutton - 11-15-2001

The general jist to it is a tax issue. The sates complain that they don't get paid any tax when private shipments to private citizens are conducted.

That is basic bull-hockey, because most states also have a provision in their tax laws that require citizens who buy from out of state to compensate their home state with the correct amount of sales tax on an out of state purchase.

The real reason is to protect the back pockets of the politicians who receive massive amounts of contributions from the distributors. These are the ones who are licensed by the state to bring in wine and then sell it to the liquor stores and the wine shops.

There are a number of sources of good wine who will most likely ship to you, using plain shipping labels that don't describe their contents. Just make sure they DON'T have to ship through Maryland in order to get to you.

Do some searching around this Wine Board and you will pick-up a number of web sites and potential sources.

IK (a frequent, likable curmudgeon who posts here quite a bit) knows of a decent wine shop in Fall River. He might chime in and let you know the name of it, since I've forgotten. Fall River, Mass is not far from anyplace in little Rhody as you most likely already know!

A little further away, there is a really good wine shop out on Long Island: Pop's Wine and Spirits. (Make a day trip and take the ferry over.)

Pop's has a web site: www.popswine.com.

Check them out!

- Kcwhippet - 11-16-2001

Actually, you can receive shipments into Rhode Island on a strictly limited basis. Check www.wineinstitute.org for the latest wine laws.

- Innkeeper - 11-16-2001

Tanza Southway Liquors, 340 R.I. Avenue, Fall River, MA 02721. Tel: 508-673-6700.

- winedope - 11-24-2001

thanks to all for your input. Finally got a dealer to find and ship in 2 bottles for me, at a reasonable price ($8.95/bottle). He is also trying to find the Coppola Chardonnay for me. I've been looking into the updates to the RI laws, they're rather vague. I'm thinking that next time I can't find something around here, I'll take your advice and try to get it shipped in myself.

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 11-24-2001).]