WineBoard
I love the Shiraz - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I love the Shiraz (/thread-17736.html)

- ebunn40 - 01-12-2002

As a newbie to the actual appreciation of wine, I asked for and received a suggestion for a not-too-dry red wine to bring me from the White Zin world. I tried the Beajolais Nouveau which was good. But I decided to try the Shiraz last night. I bought Jacob's Creek Vintage 1999, and loved it. It seems smoother than the Nouveau and maybe a little more flavorful. What is the best temp to serve it at? I opened it and drank it right from the store, with some cheddar cheese. I never knew red could be so good (still like the Riesling and Chardonnay though) White Zin is seeming too sweet to me now. Got any suggestions on a Shiraz, or did I get a decent one? One more thing, if I don't have a cellar to store it(I live in Florida), what do you suggest? My room temp is around 73 or more, or is that okay. I thought of outside on the patio, but it is getting down below the 40's at night right now, so I think that's no good. Thanks for your great suggestions.

- Innkeeper - 01-12-2002

Glad you are hoppy. Serve the shiraz and other reds besides Beaujolais at 65 degrees. Try Rosemount and Lindemans in addition to your Jacobs Creek. Until you get to the point of wanting a temperature controlled unit for your wines, just buy what you want for a week or two at a time. These can be kept in one of those simple racks holding ten or twelve bottles right in your kitchen or dinning area. Just don't let any of bottles hang out there for over a month, or the warm climate will start to hurt them.

- dananne - 01-12-2002

I, too, found shiraz/syrah pretty early in my wine education curve, and still love it. My choices have started creeping into the $15 to $30 range, but I still have several favorites that can be had for about $10. These include

McGuigan's Millennium Bin 2000 (Australian)
Domaine de Blageurs Syrah (French, but from Bonny Doon in Cali)
Barossa Valley (Australian)
Banrock Station (Australian)

Happy drinking!

- ebunn40 - 01-13-2002

Can these be purchased at any store that sells wine and beer, or do I need to go to my local wine store? I really appreciate all the suggestions.

- BuioAngel - 01-14-2002

Syrah/Shiraz have been my favorite finds and I have found the blends that the french makers do are wonderful. I just adore a syrah-grinach blend. I just can't get enough of them.

- dananne - 01-15-2002

All the suggestions seem to be pretty widely available here in the Atlanta area.

- ebunn40 - 01-15-2002

Are there any I should avoid buying? I keep hearing about certain vintage years being not so good.

- Innkeeper - 01-15-2002

Not to worry. All recent vintages in syrah/shiraz regions have been good to excellent. It is a forgiving grape, that will up put with all but the most virulent vagaries of nature. Even '98 California Syrah was mostly quite good even though other grapes such as cabernet had a bad year.

- liberty2000 - 01-25-2002

Here is another Shiraz I swear by its called
"BIN 555" try it I think you will love it.