WineBoard
Bordeaux - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Bordeaux (/thread-17728.html)

- WGC - 12-16-2000

I've recently become interested in Bordeaux and have been wanting to try a really good one.My local store has the a good selection. Specifically I'm interested in the Cos d'Estournel 82 @ $210,the Beychevelle
82 @ $110 and the Lafite 78 @ 149. I just wondered if anyone out there has opinions on these wines. My budget is pretty limited so I don't want to make any costly mistakes. Any other suggestions would be appreciated though I'm limited by the selection offered in my area. Thanks

- Drew - 12-16-2000

If your budget is limited at only $110 to $210 then I got some property in Florida I'd like to show you.

Drew

- WGC - 12-16-2000

Maybe I should rephrase the question. I'm 24 years old and a college student. I've only one or two shots at drinking a spectacular Bordeaux. If I buy a bad bottle at the above mentioned price range then I'm out of luck till I decide to become a lawyer(which isn't likely). This may seem like a silly quandary but I'm obsessed. Its seems difficult to find truly spectacular wine when one lacks a wine cellar and a large income. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any suggestions towards finding a good wine to win over women would be greatly appreciated. Chateau De Spanish Fly?

- Drew - 12-17-2000

Just funnin' ya WGC and I don't think the wine's gonna help win any women over, at least the women I know, they're far more demanding of traits other than wine knowledge...thank God. Anyway, here's a short list of available, affordable, good, IMHO, Chateau Bottled Bordeaux with approx. prices.

93' Ch. Baron de Pichon Lonqueville $50
95' " " " $70
96' " Clerc Milon $50
89' " Ducru Beaucaillou $90
96' " La Couspaude $50
96' " Lagrange St. Julien $50
96' " Lynch Bages $75
and there's tons more of very good Bordeaux at the above prices or less. You're probably better off to seek out a local wine shop guru for advice on Bordeaux. The above are just a few that I've had at tastings but personally I don't spend that much per bottle on wines.

Drew

- mrdutton - 12-17-2000

You might also check some of the Californian, Australian, Chilean, and Argentinian Cabernet Sauvignons and blends.

Plus, in the Cabernet Sauvignon Forum on this wine board is a very lengthy and interesting posting on various 1992 Cabernet Sauvignons.

- WGC - 12-17-2000

Thanks for the help. Its true most of my female guests and actually most male guests never notice how good the wine wine is. Maybe I should go for older women.

- winoweenie - 12-18-2000

WGC, welcome to the board! As far as older women , I`ll drink to that! Love those middle-age 19-year-old stromberry blondes. winoweenie

- winecollector - 12-18-2000

Winoweenie, you'll drink to anything!

- chittychattykathy - 12-19-2000

WGC, I will let you in on a few things, it being the holiday season and all.
My gal friends, that are in the 30-35 range do enjoy the younger guy now and then but I found for the most part they prefer them much closer to 30 then 20. So wait it a few years.
As far as the wines for younger ladies, cannot believe I am sharing/saying this...
I remember that we always used to think we were really sophisticated when we ordered, or asked to be ordered for us, Vouvray. As it is French we considered it to be a very chic wine as well. It is also a very d-r-i-n-k-a-b-l-e, (read between the lines) white wine. Note: This was when we first turned 21. After that Merlot worked quite well for a time, and then Cabernet Sauvignon. I would think that nowadays Shiraz would be a good beginners choice. This is what my sister and her friends are into right now, (without my influnce) she is 24 and at college as well. Last but not least, CHAMPAGNE, if the gal is special to you go vintage or better yet rose', if it's just to impress then a nice nv will work. Happy Holidays my friend, and welcome to the board!!! CCK

- winoweenie - 12-19-2000

WGC, Oh had I been lucky enuf` to have an earlier edition of CCK to coach me back in the Long-Ago I woud`st have had wisdom that would have carried over till today. Heed them wisdom-laden verbages. winoweenie