WineBoard
Regions, years, brand???? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Regions, years, brand???? (/thread-17717.html)

- bellarose - 01-15-2003

Hi-I'm really new to wines, Can you tell me about years, regions, and brands to look for???? Please give your personal perfences........price tags are not an issue. thank you

- Innkeeper - 01-16-2003

Hi Bellarose, and welcome to the Wine Board. Would have to write a book to answer your question. Look for Anddrea Immer's "Great Wine Made Simple." Another, and no aspirations intended, is "Wine For Dummies."

Years are important only in so far as they apply to current releases. You should know how the harvest went in various regions for that release. Buying earlier than current releases can be very difficult and expensive.

I don't have favorite wines or regions. I match wine with food, and the food determines what wine from what region I drink. If a friend drops by for a glass of wine, I select one based on what I know about him or her, the kind of day it is, and what mood I'm in. I don't just run down the cellar and pick my favorite.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-16-2003).]

- Thomas - 01-16-2003

I can add to IK's post only that it is best not to think of wine as a "brand" item. Major brands usually are inferior to the crafted product.The fun of wine is seeking and trying the myriad styles and types that are out there, which is why you need a book to start.

- stevebody - 01-16-2003

Bella,

Two suggestions:

Any time you see a listing in the paper or posted on the wall in a wine shop for an open tasting, GO. It's the least painful($$) way to sample several wines and you won't waste money on stuff you hate. Under that same heading, BOLO for listings in your local paper's "What's Happening" section for wine-tasting groups. If you can find one that is aimed at novices - ideally a whole bunch of people learning together - it's great for tasting a lot of wine inexpensively and for making contacts.

Secondly, cultivate a relationship woth a salesperson in a good local wine shop. Almost all wine salespeople do it because they love wine and enjoy talking about it (No other reason makes sense, really, since you'll never get rich doing it) I was lucky enough to find a great guy at my local wine shop who poured samples every day and loved to wax eloquent about them. I wound up working there, later on, so tangible results can come out of the relationship, too. If the person is really good and doesn't have their head wedged up their posterior, they'll keep you in a comfortable price range for your learning curve and gradually bring your tastes along, watching to see what you respond to, not what they want you to like. Beware of anyone who tells you you can't buy really good wine for little money. They're flat-out lying and just want your bux.

Hope this helps.

- bellarose - 01-16-2003

thank you so much! More Please!

- Thomas - 01-17-2003

Good advice from Stevebody. In fact, you might try shopping at Hodge Wines and Liquors. Ask for Joe Pepe.

If you are in the suburbs, which one? I might have a suggested shop for you. I used to sell wine in the Buffalo market.