WineBoard
Wine Storage - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Storage (/thread-17715.html)

- tk4sports - 10-13-2002

How do you store a bottle after you pop the cork and not drink it all. does it have to be Refridgerated? of can it be stored at room temp, and for how long...

- redmonk - 10-13-2002

cork and refridgerate...tiem usually depends on the wine, but usually 2 mabe 3 days...if i am wrong someone will correct me...that is just my experience...

- Kcwhippet - 10-13-2002

I'd recommend Private Preserve. It's available at most good wine shops. It's an inert gas that covers the wine and displaces the oxygen which is what makes the wine go south faster than anything.

- wondersofwine - 10-15-2002

I usually do as redmonk suggested. With red wines, I try to remove them from the refrigerator 40-60 minutes before drinking. The Private Preserve might be worthwhile for a really good wine that you want to hold for more than a day, but for everyday consumption the recorking and refrig seems to hold for 2-3 days. Some chiantis I even like better the second day.

- Innkeeper - 10-15-2002

If you drink a consistant half bottle of wine at a time, there is an inexpensive way to preserve any table wine for up to a week or ten days. Get a half bottle of wine (375 ml), prferably one with a durable artificial cork. Drink it. Save the bottle and the cork. Next time you want a half bottle of wine, open a full (750 ml) bottle, and fill the reserved half bottle almost to the very top. Set it on the floor, drive the cork in with a rubber mallet, clean up the mess, and place half bottle in the fridge. Enjoy your remaining half bottle. When you want the rest and it is red, do as WOW recommends. If it is white, just uncork and bring to the table. Save the half bottle and cork for next time. I sometimes keep two going like this. The reason for the mess, is that you do not want ANY air in the bottle. That is what deteriorates wine.

- Mar - 10-16-2002

Not many things I would consider myself an expert at, however preserving some fine wine is one. Most of the wines I enjoy cost me $35 and up and as I enjoy alone (my husband is a non-drinker), I have had to do a lot of experimenting in order to not have to through the gold down the sink (I enjoy a glass or two nightly and am unable to consume an entire bottle). As mentioned before with the half bottle, you can buy special decanters usually comes in a set of half bottle and third bottle with an air tight top. The trick is to fill the decanter right to the top of the stopper immediately even before you poor your glass to drink. It can last for a long time at room temperature.

- winer - 10-16-2002

Another very good method of preserving a partial bottle of wine is to pump the air out. As one of the previous posts mentioned, it is the exposure to air (oxygen) that causes a wine to go off.

Vac-U-vin is a brand of pump that comes with special rubber stoppers that have a hole in the top. You put the stopper in the partial bottle of wine, put the pump over top, and pump out most of the air. External air pressure keeps the hole in the top of the stopper closed.

I don't know how long the wine will keep like this, as I have never let the partial bottle sit around for more than a day or two. But for that period of time, it works beautifully.