WineBoard
Wine Aging Rookie - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Aging Rookie (/thread-17688.html)

- Leanne - 02-17-2001

My fiance' and I want to start collecting and aging wines in our wine cellar. Any suggestions and tips as to what type of wines work best for aging? We are finding
each wine has it's own best length of aging. Are there any we can "through" down
there for 20 years? Any one know anything about aging the following wines?:

**1997 Chateau La Cardone, Medoc **1998 Beringer, Merlot **1997 Belle Sirne', Merlot **1995 Gaetano D'Aguino, Valpolicella **1997 Rancho Zabco, Zinfindel **1997 Castle Rock, Cabernet Sauvignon **1997 Columbia Winery, Merlot **1996 Ste. Chapelle, Johannesburg Riesling

- Innkeeper - 02-17-2001

Hi Leanne, and welcome to the Wine Board. We only need one posting per question, not three. The answer to the question about 20 is no. The Valpolicella and the Johannesburg Riesling should be consumed immediately if it isn't too late. The merlots and the zinfandel you could cellar up to three years, and the Medoc and the cabernet sauvignon up to five years. If you want a wine that will cellar for 20 years sight unseen, that is without knowing about the specific bottling, look for Brunello di Montalcino. They start at $35 for a current vintage, and go on up. You can get a very consistent one from Banfi, the same folks that brought you Reunite, for $50.00. These mature in fifteen years, but most will go 20 without much of a problem.

- winoweenie - 02-17-2001

Second the one listing advice. There are many Napa Cabernets that will go the requisite time you've outlined if you have a good cellar. They range from 30 to 150 per bottle. If yhere are within your parameters let us know. winoweenie

- janrob - 02-18-2001

When you want to cellar a wine you particularly like, it's always nice to buy multiple bottles, so you are not constantly facing the bittersweet task of drinking your last bottle.
You have some nice wines there and when starting out, it's not a bad idea to have a number of short to medium-term ageing wines included in the mix. I've known a few people who have immediately filled their new cellars with long term aging wine, and then not been able to fully appreciate them for several years.
The most important thing is your cellar conditions. A good article can be found at:
http://www.homestead.com/winelife/files/aginghtm.HTM
Enjoy your cellar, cheers.

- Innkeeper - 02-18-2001

Janrob's advice is top drawer as is the reference provided. Have two small quarrels with the aging article. The author states that tannin or acidity is necessary. Should have said tannin and/or acidity. Acidity alone in a white like riesling will do the trick. In a red tannin and acidity are both nessesary. Tannin alone will go nowhere.

The author also gives the impression that cabernet sauvignon alone and universally will age. Like most wine, most cabernet is made to be consumed upon release. Those so crafted that they will age, selected carefully as Wineweenie has offered to help you with, will develop into some of the finest wine on earth. Other reds have the potential to age as well. These include syrah particularly those from the Upper Rhone and the biggies from Australia where it is called shiraz; nebbiolo from the Piedmont Region of Italy in wines like Barolo, and Barberesco; and the bigger versions of sangiovese from Tuscany such as the Brunello mentioned above.

- jessie - 02-22-2001

Funny this should be a current topic - it was just a discussion in the lunchroom today...

Here's my question - how do I know when I try a new wine if the reason I'm not enjoying it is because it needs to be aged before it's consumed? Someone mentioned that most wines are produced to be consumed in a short time period, but then I read reviews of individual wines that say they'll get better in 3-5 years, and the like. How do I know that when I buy it if I haven't read a review?

Thanks,
Jessie

- winoweenie - 02-22-2001

Jesse, you're asking a question that is almost impossible to answer. You and your palate will have to exparience the difference between a wine that has been cellared and has the bouquet, silky tannins, and expansive taste that only bottle aging of a fine wine can achieve. When you experience this, you won't need a road-map, it'll roll your socks up and down. Good luck. winoweenie

- Loren - 02-24-2001

A good way to find out how long you may age a piticular wine is to ask the producer. Most are more that happy to let you know. It all depends on the grape and harvest. I have some Chatteauneuf du Pape that I have stored for 8 years and it will hilt in about 2-3 more years. On the other hand I Merryville Morlot that is 7 years and it will be corked this evening.

- barnesy - 02-24-2001

You may wish to be careful about asking the producer about the aging potential. they may exagerate in some cases to make their wine seem more desirable, the whole if its old its good schtick. Also, they may be rating their aging on an exceptional vintage. Not every vintage will age as well as others.

Barnesy

- chittychattykathy - 02-25-2001

Very valid point!