WineBoard
Very interested newbie has many questions!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Very interested newbie has many questions!! (/thread-17666.html)

- godzilabob - 01-17-2005

Hi there and thanks in advance.
Direct and to the point...
1. Are the "ratings" given by different groups or periodicals (WS, W&S, WE etc etc) "blind" ratings?
2. With these ratings...I notice sometimes a $9 bottle of Cab has the same "point" as a $79 bottle...theoretically are these two on the same level???
3. I have a group of clients who enjoy wine. Does anyone have a suggestion on some Cab which I can purchase for Xdollars and "lay down" for 5 years or so and have it be a "Better" present?
I usually give $30 bottles each year...if i could purchase something for around that price right now...store it and give it as a "more expensive" present in 5 or so years...what would be a good wine to do such a thing???
4. Are second labels really the grapes that didn't make the first label "cut"????
thanks!!!!

- Innkeeper - 01-17-2005

Hi Bob and welcome to the Wine Board. No, no, yes, yes. Here are some details.

Although we try to not be lead by ratings, most people who rate wines know what they are drinking. If it is a blind tasting, they will always mention it.

Although we are big fans of QPR wines, and are always looking for bargains, there are very few if any $9 Cabs that are as good as $79 ones.

Although WW on this Board will defer to some Cal Cab, I would much rather put that kind of money into the current release of 2d or 3d Growth Bordeaux, unless the vintage is really bad which does happen. Many, but certainly not all Cal Cabs are being harvested much too late and with huge lack of balance including acid and PH, that they don't have a chance to age much.

Second labels are very frequently good if not excellent values. Rather than being inferior grapes, they are more frequently grapes from younger vines. Even in the old vineyards of Europe, new vines have to be planted all the time. Obviously the second labels of the top producers are better than others.

- godzilabob - 01-17-2005

INNKEEPER,
thanks so much!
What is QPR?
Do you have any specific recommendations for bottles to lay down???
Like I said...Generally give $30 bottles to clients...but if I can buy now for that and have them be worth well more in 5 years, would make a nice impression on them methinks!!!
Also, for the here and now, any second label recommendations for me personally? Merlots, Cabs, Pinot Noirs? Price point is not of great importance, rather BANG FOR THE proverbial BUCK is what I look for when it comes to the stuff I personally imbibe...
cheers
bob

- winoweenie - 01-18-2005

Hi Godzillabob and welcome to the board. QPR is the quality to price ratio.In the price range you've mentioned 2 wines that fit the bill are the Markham 2001 Napa and the Hess Collection 2001 Estate. Both of these wines have excellent track records and are nice agers. WW I assume you have proper storage, without which you'll be giving your clients some expensive vinegar.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-18-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 01-18-2005

QPR is a geek term for 'quality price ratio.' Chateau Lagrange and its second Les Fiefs de Lagrange are worth seeking out and laying down.

- wineguruchgo - 01-18-2005

Just to add another note. When they give a 79 pt rating to two different wines in different price ranges they consider the wines before they rate them.

Think of diamonds. There are different grades. Once they are grouped together in their grade, then they can put them in order from better to worse.

They do the same thing with wine.

- chittychattykathy - 01-18-2005

Godzilabob,
Can I ask you where you live? Thanks, Kat

- godzilabob - 01-18-2005

Kat,
I live in Novato, Calif. about 20 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge...
Thank you to all of you who have replied. It's been very informative.
[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/redface.gif[/img])