WineBoard
New at this. Can I get some help? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: New at this. Can I get some help? (/thread-17613.html)

- Golfinwstogie - 08-24-2001

I'm in college (one more semester) and recently got myself into wines because I'd take a nice glass of vino over a beer(I dont really know whats good wine and whats bad yet). Considering I'm a college student and broke, what will make me happy with my taste buds and wallet? Thanks Peeps
Jamey

- winoweenie - 08-24-2001

Golfinwstogie, welcome to the board. You didn't say whether you preferred reds or SWs' but if you're in bed with red, the Cline bottlings, the Sutter Home merlots and Cabs, Beringer founders series, and to get an idea on others go to the best buy/steal deals thread, go back 100 days and you'll find tons of stuff. Good luck in your endeavors and welcome to the wonderful world of wine. WW

- summa - 08-24-2001

Trust WW he knows what he's talking about...
So far as reds, I'd also bring up Bogle wines (petite syrah and merlot), & Gallo of Sonoma (especially the cab), as relatively inexpensive easier to find wines.

Also I find every so often, a new Australian winery is marketed in the U.S. and they seem to come up with a great wine at an unheard of price, for one vintage at least. The last of these I've noticed was the Big River Cabernet at less than $10 for 1.5 liters(double size bottle), though they may be into the next, and more watered down vintage by now.

[This message has been edited by summa (edited 08-24-2001).]

- Golfinwstogie - 08-24-2001

Thanks peeps you are very kind. To be honest with ya I'm still trying out the colors but I do prefer a red for a treat and white more with a meal. For all I know its supposed to be the other way around lol. I've seen alot of the beringer stuff, but I didnt know if it was any good. same with sutterhouse or sutterhome or something close to that :-) I like the kendall jacksons so far and have done a lil exeriemnting with the years 97-2000 with that on the merlots and chards. Thanks again for the help..I need it haha

- winoweenie - 08-25-2001

Hi agin' there Golfinwif-Cigar. If you have the funds try different wines from different vineyards that fall into your price range. When you find a bottle that rings your bell, note it , and go on to another that does the same. When you've established the style of wines that please YOU,analyze what it is about them that pleases your palate and you're on your way to building a comfort zone with the grape. Again, nothing beats experience. Reading helps gain knowledge about the various types, styles, and regions the wines come from, but until you drink them suckers and decide ifn' you like them they're still just another bottle. Don't be afraid to explore. You'll find, especially today, there's more than a zillion ways to crush a grape. Good luck on your journey into that most wunnerful world of winedom. WW