WineBoard
Getting Started - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Getting Started (/thread-17596.html)

- newhobby - 01-04-2001

Hi all,

I am new to wine collecting and I wanted some general info.

1. Can all wines be stored for aging or are there specific ones which can and others that will spoil? What do I need to look for?

2. Where should they be stored? Would the change in temperature from season to season affect the wine? If so, what are your recommendations?

Thank you for your assistance.

- Fandelvino - 01-04-2001

Hi, certanly this is not an answer. I have the same questions... I´m a beginner and i´d like to know for a good book about storing wines or amateur cellar.

Bye

- Blue - 01-04-2001

re wine books:

Try Larouse's Encyclopedia of Wines. It costs about $40, has everything you want to know about wine from wine making to cellaring to what wines can keep how long to the different "cepages" to in depth descriptions of nearly all of the world's wine regions.

Great investment, great reading...answers to all your questions.

- barnesy - 01-04-2001

As far as a beginners educational book, I would go with Wine for Dummies. Despite the derogatory title, it is an excellent book that covers all stuff one might need to know at the beginner's level and even beyond. It is priced at about 20 bucks and is easily available. It is written by the only US woman to hold the Master of Wine title and a man who publishes in wine journals and I believe at one point was an english teacher. It is both readible and filled with knowledge.

Barnesy

- Thomas - 01-04-2001

Good book suggestions but wouldn't it be better to consume the wines rather than to collect them?

- chittychattykathy - 01-05-2001

Yes, listen to Foodie. You must drink many, many wines first, then focus on storing wines for later consumption. Read as much as possible and taste as often as possible.

- newhobby - 01-05-2001

Thank you all for the advise. I already bought a book called the "Pocket Encyclopedia of Wines" and this weekend I will purchase "Wines for Dummies". Until then I'll keep tast'n.

If you have any other recommendations please continue to submit them. I welcome all advise and opinions.

Thanks again.

- janrob - 01-06-2001

Hi 'Newhobby'. Go to
www.winelife.homestead.com
They have an article on storing wine there that should be some help to you.

- newhobby - 01-10-2001

Thanks "janrob".

Would anyone also happen to know good websites to purchase wines? Please advise.

Thanks

- hotwine - 01-10-2001

Go to www.popswines.com.

- winoweenie - 01-11-2001

Hi NewHobby and welcome to the board. The guys have given you some excellent suggestions but the one that can`t be emphasised strongly enough is to taste, taste and file. There `haint no book around that will give you the true insight into wine like good `ole experience. Taste as many of them suckers as you can and keep the result filed upstairs for future reference. Develop your likes and dislikes. It comes much faster than you can imagine. Good drinkin`.winoweenie