WineBoard
Spiegelau glasses - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Spiegelau glasses (/thread-17586.html)

- buradayam - 06-26-2004

What is the difference between sp AUTHENTIS and sp VINO GRANDE wine glasses. Still looking for that special that was mentioned here a few months ago re ordering bordeau and getting free burgandy and free shipping. Was that for the vino grande, or the other? Thanks again for your advice

- Innkeeper - 06-28-2004

Our resident Spiegelau expert, KC, must be on vacation.

- thewoodman - 06-28-2004

I have both, and I believe Vino Grande is a more traditionally shaped glass, while Authentis has a more extreme curvature. See amazon for pics of both. When you get two sets for one on Amazon, you can't beat them. I got 6 white and 6 red for $40.00.

- Kcwhippet - 06-28-2004

Not on vacation. I just don't know the difference between the two models. We have a few sets of the Authentis Bordeaux and Burgundy. I've seen the special on Amazon recently, but didn't order this time.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 06-29-2004).]

- simbatu - 10-11-2005

I too am looking to buy Spiegelau glasses and wonder whether to go with Grande or Authentis line. Any new thoughts on this?

- Kcwhippet - 10-11-2005

OK, back to the question of which is which. The Authentis is a bit larger in size and volume than the Vino Grande. The major difference is that the Vino Grande is 7% lead, while the Authentis is 5%. The price difference is less than a dollar a glass, and the quality of the glasses themselves is fairly comparable. So, I'd go with the Authentis. In fact, we've purchased 6 sets each of the Authentis Bordeaux and Burgundy, and have given some as gifts due to the occasionally great pricing on Amazon.com.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 10-11-2005).]

- AlpineOeno - 10-11-2005

the authentis is their response to riedel coming out with the vinum extreme line. the glasses are of comparable quality in production. as for purpose and function, the "claim" is that the vino grande is designed for the old world version of their respective varietals, and the authentis is for the new world counterpart. that being said, while you can readily tell the difference between a pinot in the bordeaux vs burgundy glass, after several blind tastings, we have never been able to confirm a discernable difference in a wine poured in a vino grande vs authentis glass.

- Kcwhippet - 10-12-2005

We have many Riedels as well as the Spiegelaus, and for most everyday drinking we use the Riedel Vinum Gourmet. It's a smaller version of the Bordeaux glass with a short stem that works with most wines, and it's inexpensive. Anyway, last night I opened a Willakenzie Gamay Noir and poured into a Gourmet. It just didn't work, so I transferred to a Spiegelau Burgundy. A world of difference! I should have known better.