WineBoard
Red Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Red Wine (/thread-17546.html)

- New2Wines_2008 - 09-10-2008

Good evening everyone, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section.

I need advice on a good red wine. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said he wanted me to start drinking a glass of red wine every night. I picked up a Chianti last night and could barely drink it. I'm not a big drinker to begin with, if I do drink I'll a dessert wine after dinner.

Any suggestion on a decent red wine that isn't...I believe the correct term would be dry (bitter) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Innkeeper - 09-10-2008

Hi New2Wines_2008, and welcome to the Wine Board. The best red wine for you in terms of maximum amout of reversitrol is Pinot Noir. Most are easy to drink, particularly the less expensive ones. If they won't work either, try a Beaujolais Villages. It is very fruity and easy to handle.

- New2Wines_2008 - 09-11-2008

Thank you for the welcoming and suggestion. I will try that tonight.

- Jackie - 09-12-2008

I can't disagree but Pinot Noirs vary greatly in quality. A lot of people learn to enjoy red wine by starting with a good quality Merlot. It's less tannic than Cabernet Sauvignon but has great flavor, like Cab.

Pinot Noir is silky and smooth and wonderful, if you get a good bottle. But it is also difficult to grow and fickle. You really need to know what to buy when it comes to Pinot.

Try both. Ask your wineshop for recommendations.

- xtreme south - 09-12-2008

Like New2wines, I am also new to this board and the information that I just read was great. I also was told to drink a glass of wine a day. I enjoy a Merlot, but will try the others. Thanks again.

- Kcwhippet - 09-12-2008

OK here goes. There are two grapes that have the highest amounts of what's good for you (polyphenols, antioxidants --- help me here, Bucko), and those are Tannat and Malbec, according to what I've read recently. The best Tannat based wines I've had are from Madiran in France and from Uraguay. The best Malbecs have been from Argentina. We have a few Madirans and two Uraguayan Tannats, and many, many Argentinian Malbecs in the shop, so I really have to assume they're available just about everywhere.

- falconcraft - 10-01-2008

I am also new to this wine board and to wines. I'm also from Texas and I have found that there are some very good wines coming from our local vinyards. The advice that I have received when asking about wines is to try everything and to decide what I liked.

- wondersofwine - 10-01-2008

That's excellent advice. Just don't get into a rut by buying the same wine every time you go to the store. Keep trying new wines now and then to expand your tastes.

- falconcraft - 10-02-2008

I often buy sweet reds for my sisterinlaw, but not for myself, since the doctors have decided that I have become diabetic in my golden years. (This is how I came to the Llano Syrah)

------------------
I was taught to respect my elders.... but it is getting harder and harder to find any.