WineBoard
Amarone - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Amarone (/thread-17532.html)

- Tifosi - 07-23-1999

I need all the info I can get on this particular type of wine, I am a novice in wine-world, had this wine in a party and kicked myself not knowing the great pleasures of wine sooner.

- Jason - 07-23-1999

As I was writing my first reply about this I realized that you would need defintions about all the terms used in the explanation itself. Terms like Corvina, Reciotto, and Valpolicella come to mind. You have picked a lulu to start out with.I suggest some reading and then ask about specific terms/methods. The Windows on the World Wine Course is a very good book to start with.

- Jerry D Mead - 07-24-1999

The following is forwarded from a friend who specializes in Italian wines, George Ronay. JDM//

AMARONE is a blend of the same three grape varieties used in two other famous Italian wines from the region around the city of Verona: Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara. The three grapes are used to make Bardolino (from vineyards just west of the city of Verona along the shores of Lake Garda); and Valpolicella (the hills and valleys just north of Verona). Amarone is distinguished by what happens AFTER the grapes are harvested: the grapes are laid out on straw mats in "holding houses" to dry out after the harvest, thus concentrating the sugars. In the winter following harvest (January-February usually), the grapes are crushed and fermented. After a usually extended period of aging (5 years is normal), the resulting wine is bottled and enjoyed. The distinguishing factor of Amarone is that it is (as a result of the extended drying and aging) much higher in alcohol and structure than either Valpolicella and Bardolino.

Amarone is a relatively recent "addition" to the Italian wine portfolio, and there is some dispute as to how it originated. The Bolla firm claims to have released the first Amarone in the 1950's. It is said to have originated quite by accident - the method for making the wine as outlined above was usually followed to make a wine called "Recioto della Valpolicella," a sweet, concentrated late-harvest style Valpolicella. Apparently one year, in one cellar, one barrel of this elixir managed to confound nature and ferment to total dryness while retaining the high alcohol and structure typical of the wine. It was labeled "Amarone" and thus was born a legend.......
George

- Tifosi - 07-25-1999

Thanks for two great responses. I must admit I am a little bit dissappointed on the prices for this type of wine, can't find anything under $30 the range seems to be between $30 to $75 aoouch.

- Jerry D Mead - 07-26-1999

It's not the same thing, to be sure, but you you show an indication of liking big, ripe red wine styles. Be on the lookout for California Zinfandels with Amador County, Sierra Foothills or Paso Robles appellations...they tend to be big and ripe and robust (and nearly as high in alcohol) for considerably less money.

If you like those...check back and we'll tout you on some other alternatives. JDM