WineBoard
what wines are dry/sweet/fruity? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: what wines are dry/sweet/fruity? (/thread-17511.html)

- mallets4 - 12-26-2001

My brother and his fiancee are coming to visit. I want to treat them to a good wine, but they aren't much of wine drinkers. They do like White Zinfandel, but I'm looking for a Red that will help them get into wines more, and for me to learn about the different types at the same time. I have tried a lot of red wines, but really don't know much about selecting one.

Thought I'd add - As I type I'm enjoying a Robert Mondavi Coastal Private Selection Cabernet Sauvignon that I got a few bottles of, but cracked one to try - purely out of love for my twin brother and his bride-to-be. I like it ok, and I think it will go nicely with a meat or pasta dish (we're going to a BYOB place tomorrow for dinner), but I think they might find it a bit too dry for themselves.

Suggestions? Let me know ASAP? Thanks!

Thanks for your help!

[This message has been edited by mallets4 (edited 12-26-2001).]

- mrdutton - 12-26-2001

Generally, from light bodied to heavier bodied, try these wines on for size:

Beaujolais (French wine from the Gamay grape)

Cotes du Rhone Villages (Southern French wine)

Cotes du Rhone (Southern French wine)

Syrah Vin du pay docs or vin du table (varietal Syrah from France rather than from a particular region or Chateau)

Shiraz (Some from California, a lot from Australia)

Zinfandel (RED WINE not white Zin) (California primarily) (start with the relatively low alcohol levels and work your way up toward 14% - for the really BIG ZINS).

Good luck! Generally I've found that with people who really like White Zinfandel it is easier to introduce them to Beaujolais or Cotes du Rhone Village as their first introduction to red wines. Both, generally, go well with grilled meats, most game or wild fowl, roast chicken and stuff like that.

- Bucko - 12-26-2001

Agree with Mr.D, although there are a few good, light Zins that fit nicely such as Cline's low end offering.

- barnesy - 12-26-2001

Mondavi's private selection Cab definitely ISN'T what they want. Go with a beaujolais or Mondavi's Coastal 1999 Pinot Noir. Make sure its the 1999 and not the 2000 and Coastal, not the private selection. It should fit the bill.

Barnesy

- mallets4 - 12-26-2001

Thanks for the advice.

I drove into Pittsburgh to a store with a larger selection.

I bought 3 wines (read your postings after getting back). Let me know if I did ok.

1. 2000 Georges Deboeuf Beaugolais Nouveau. I realize some people here aren't fans of the nouveau, but I found in the past it was easy on the pallette, and heard good things about this year's batch.

2.2000 Georges Deboeuf Beugolais-Villages
This one will be more complex than a regular beaugolais, if my hours of internet study serve me well. They won't like it as well as the first one.

3. I'm not sure what's what. I asked for assitance in picking a wine, and the shop keeper suggested this one:
2000 Santa Cristina Toscana Sangiovese
The label also says Antinori.
I did some reading about the Sangiovese grape, and thought it was worth a try for the price (10 bucks)

Did I do OK? My guess is that they will best like the Nouveau, and it won't keep long anyway. Any additional help (i.e. a verbal chastising or pat on the back) is appreciated.

This is a great way to learn about wines. Thanks again!

- Innkeeper - 12-26-2001

You've got some nice juice, providing you made a mistake about the Nouveau. If it is really a 2000 and not a 2001, never go back to that dealer again. If it is a 2001 you are in good shape. Your brother and fiancee should like in not love all of them.

If the Nouveau is a 2000, pour it down the drain. If it is an '01, be sure it is consumed by the end of January.

- leslie423 - 12-27-2001

I am certainly not a learned or experienced as most of the folks here, but I just recently finished a bottle of the 2000 Santa Cristina Toscana Sangiovese and thought I'd offer my 2 cents. While I enjoyed it, my partner's reaction might be of more interest to you since he is not terribly fond of "heavier" reds and really liked this wine. He also likes Beaujolais (both Nouveau and Villages) so your guests may very well enjoy the Sangiovese you picked up as well. (On the other hand, I have had no luck in converting my mother from her card-carrying white zinfandel membership status even with a Nouveau...) Good luck!