WineBoard
I always read "drink between now and .." - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I always read "drink between now and .." (/thread-17509.html)

- MontereyRick - 12-02-2002

I consider myself a real fan of wine, know what kind of wine I like and what kinds I don't and have a wine cellar with around 450 bottles..

Problem is, I'm just not very good at explaining which characteristics it was in a certain wine that I either liked or disliked..I rarely spend more than $20 a bottle because I feel anyone can spend a bunch of money and find very good wine (everyone's tastes being different, of course); but more fun is had in buying wine under $20 that people think tastes like a $50 bottle. I have learned that buying decent Cabs or Zins and cellaring them for a couple years helps a lot. However, I always seem to read that some experts opinion is that a certain wine should be drank "up until 2005", or drink "between now and 2009" or will "be best in a couple of years".

Here is my question:
Why is it one wine may continue to get better up until 2009 and another similarly priced, same varietal may only get better for another 2 years?

Do some red wine not get better at all?

- Innkeeper - 12-02-2002

Hi Rick, and welcome to the Wine Board. Most wine can be drunk right now. This includes almost all white and roses', and most reds. Don't buy a 2002 Beaujolais Nouveau as it tastes like dishwater this year, but do try a 2001 Beaujolais Villages or Cru Beaujolais, and lots of other reds.

Cabernet sauvignon can be made in many ways. That includes those that are ready to go on release, to those that take 15 to 18 years to mature. It has to do with the vintage, the ripeness, the localle, and the method. Other wines that have to be aged follow the same pattern. You have to know, through experiance, reading (including he labels), and consultation with your retailer and others.

- MontereyRick - 12-02-2002

Thanks for the info.

How does one know which is going to be best if aged for a longer period.

Right now, I'm buying lots of 99 Cabs in the $15-$20 range that I like a lot now and plan on holding them for a while. How do I know if I'm buying a bottle and holding it past its peak? If it isn't going to get any better, might as well enjoy.

- Innkeeper - 12-02-2002

I thought I told. Anyway, list them here, and we'll see if we can help you.

- winoweenie - 12-02-2002

Hi Monty-Rick and welcome to the board. I'll Condense this answer and incorperate to include you're posting above.Most of the 10 to 20 buck 99 cabs are not going to improve appreciably. They are very supple, approachable wines that should be drunk over the next 3-5 years. Going for the wines for your daughters special day, For the 98, you'll have to go with a substantial wine like the 98 Joseph Phelps Insignia. Or as good but probably a harder find is the Viader. It's a lil' more than your budget but 98 was basically a spotty year with very few great bottlings in France or the USofA. I'd suggest either a 2000 Lynch-Bages or Leaville Las Cases for that daughter. They'll both go the distance. On the 96, if you can find it at the price try the Caymus Napa Eatate. Your storage sounds fine so hope you can put these back. I too have 4 daughters and have to lock my cellar door when any one of them inhalers hit the front door. Good Luck. WW