WineBoard
Muscat Ottonel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Muscat Ottonel (/thread-17489.html)

- plonk - 02-11-2005

Hello

someone gave me a bottle of Romanian "Muscat Ottonel" [2003, Castlebrook]. I had a Muscadet before [Sutter Home], very sweet, but I liked it. Am I correct to expect something similar with the "Muscat Ottonel"?

- dananne - 02-12-2005

It's an eastern European version of the muscat grape, and it can be made anywhere from dry to sweet. I'll go out on a limb and guess that it's off dry, so serve it well chilled.

- plonk - 02-13-2005

Thanks. I must confess that it's a little confusing with the muscat grape. Some are sweet , some dry... how can one know before opening the bottle?

- Innkeeper - 02-13-2005

Sweetness and dryness strictly speaking have little to do with whether the grape is sweet or not. It does not matter how much sugar is in the grape relative to how sweet the wine is. If all the sugar in the grape is fermented the wine is dry. If less than all the sugar is fermented, or if sugar in some form (usually unfermented juice of the same grape) is added back, then the wine will be off-dry or sweet to the extent the winemaker chooses and laws allow.

Having said all that Muscat (there are three distict varieties of it too) is sweeter than your average grape. Therefore, if all the suger is fermented it will will produce a wine of higher alcohol, than a grape that contained less sugar. If you followed all this so far, we can go further.

If the Muscat Wine you see has low alcohol, say around 10 or 11% there is an excellent chance that it is sweet. This is not an ironclad method, as the amount of sugar in any grape including Muscat is dependent on when the grape was harvested; that is how ripe it was at harvest.

With grapes like Muscat vinters sometime try to help you be putting the word dry on the label if it is. Others will think you will assume it to be off dry as most Muscats are. The only region I am aware of that always makes their table wines from Muscat dry is Alsace. I would guess that yours has some level of sweetness.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-13-2005).]

- wineguruchgo - 02-13-2005

Can you please tell us who the producer is? I've found several on line just by searching for the grape and region and it says that some are dry, semi-sweet and sweet.

It really depends on who made it and what their house style is.

- plonk - 02-13-2005

Innkeeper:
thank you for this information. Very interesting, indeed.

Well, here's what is written on the label:

CASTLEBROOK
Muscat Ottonel
DOC Recos 2003
Romania, Alc 12% by Vol

Produced and bottled by Cramele Recas SRL

- wineguruchgo - 02-14-2005

Here is what I found on their website:

Muscat Ottonel

Aromatic and with an unmistakable Muscat spice on the nose, a bright green/gold color.
Medium sweet and with a concentrated exotic fruit flavour this wine temps you with its full flavours and long finish.
Serve well chilled with deserts.

- Innkeeper - 02-14-2005

Great research Guru. Happy I guessed correctly about the sweetness.

- plonk - 02-19-2005

Yes, thank you! I'll probably have it for dinner, soon.