WineBoard
differences in wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: differences in wines (/thread-17457.html)

- curious - 01-25-2003

hubby and I drank some of the arbor mist, and where before I had not been able to tell much about the wines we had tried before, I could tell a difference with this.

Now don't bash me for this, okay?!. For a start, I do think that it will be the best one for us, it was not as strong in the alcohol leftover taste. There was more of a sweet taste, and a stronger fruit taste.

I think that the best way to compare it would be to think of taking a can of juice, such as Juicy Juice, or other type of 100% juice and adding some alcohol to it.

What I truly gained from it was the ability to learn something about the real wines we had tried earlier. Before, I had read posts where people had spoken about the "smooth feel". I can now tell the difference.
There was an obvious difference in the "feel" of the drink in my mouth. Being new to wine, I had not been able to tell, now, I can.

Think that starting out with this is a postive move, I am not looking to have this as our one and only type, but the stepping stone to what will be a wonderful journey, as we experience all those things I have read here.

So, Salute to you all.

- Kcwhippet - 01-25-2003

Curious,

You're close when you describe it as fruit juice with added alcohol. It's water, fruit juice, arificial flavors, sugar, salt and some very inferior wine. Arbor Mist is really not wine.

- curious - 01-25-2003

I agree KC, but it is a stepping stone for such as hubby and I who are not used to any alcohol. I am not looking at as a "wine drink" but as a means to adjust myself to this new taste, (alcohol).

I think it has helped me to see the difference between what real wine is, there is such a difference in the feel of this in my mouth and the real wine I tried the first time.
That had a soft, smooth feel that I had not recognized until I drank some of the arbor mist. I am drinking another glass now as I sit here, typing.
It will I know let me be able to enjoy the real stuff, as I adjust to the alcohol.

I do totally agree, it is not really wine, just a wannabe.

- Drew - 01-26-2003

Curious, I'm a little curious....why push the envelope to enjoy alcohol? Alcohol's not for everybody. Many of my friends drink Scotch, burbon, vodka, gin, etc. I don't drink any of them cause I don't like them, no matter how popular they are. My only suggestion is to drink what you like. If you like the sweet style of wine with low alcohol try the German Rieslings, Quady Electra,Italian Prosecco and such. Or dabble in the desert wines area where the wines are very sweet and rich, alcohol is high but often less noticable. Just my 2 pesos.

Drew

- Bucko - 01-26-2003

I'll second Drew's Quady Electra -- a dandy wine for even the non-wine lover.

- winoweenie - 01-26-2003

What happened to Quadys' Elyssium, do it be chump change.? WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- dananne - 01-26-2003

I'd also jump in on the suggestion of Quady Electra. At 4%, the alcohol level may suit you better at this point. Fun dessert wine at a fun price (about $9).

- curious - 01-26-2003

I guess I seem to focus on the alcohol aspect because I think I am working on two differnet concepts from my upbringing. I was raised, taught that "drinks" are broken into several categories. You have the soft drinks, i.e. pop, tea, that are acceptable to drink (even though they are really unhealthy for you). Then you have mixed drinks which is a combination of hard liquer and someting in it to make it less strong, then you have hard drinks that aren't diluted at all. My family and church placed wine into that category.
However, I don't, I think it has its own category. A drink that is made from grapes, a cultural aspect with its hitory, and yet as versitle as anything can be with all its distinctive tastes. Yet it does have alcohol, which is my problem area.
I have been raised by my parents and church that it is "SIN" to drink anything that has alcohol, and so it has just been recently, in fact the last 3 months, that I have changed my belief about it. The ole "nurture" aspect I guess.
When hubby and I tried our first bottle, that is all that we noticed, what to us was the strong aftertaste, burning sensation of alcohol.
Well, that is something that I believe a person has to become aclimated to, some have been raised with it and don't notice it, others, they immediately do.
I don't want my enjoyment of wine to be overshadowed by the taste of alcohol, which is what I have now, so, I must become used to it, adjust my body, senses and psychological/sociological/cultrualistic makeup to this new sensation.
My hubby says that I am like a pit bull, I don't give up, when I get involved in something, I sink my teeth in, and don't let go until I succeed.
Is the alcohol a personal hangup, most likely, but I will learn to deal with it. I just want to learn to enjoy wine, not wine wannabe's, like arbor mist, or boonesfarm.
Janette

- curious - 01-26-2003

sorry about being so long in that post
Janette

- joeyz6 - 01-26-2003

Janette -- I think you'll get over the 'alcohol' taste soon. Try some of those sweet wines that were recommended above. If I remember correctly from your past posts, you were trying some dryer stuff.

PS: Who on Earth told you that tea is unhealthy? I find that tea is a good digestif, helps sore throats and can even clear the sinus a bit. Not to mention its calming effect.

- curious - 01-26-2003

Joey, my biology instructor was against pop (said he melted copper pennies in a glass of pop), and he felt that tea was somewhat harmful, as it was high in caffine, and could dehydrate you, if you drank too much. He was a water or juice freak wouldn't drink coffee either. To some extent I do agree with him, although I love my morning cup of earl grey.
I picked up some last week some of the wines that was suggested and also picked up yesterday evening two others, they were either out of others suggested, or didn't carry them.
Here is what I did get: Schmitt Sohne, piesporter Michelsheig, Auslese, 1999 and the other was Novella Late harvest Moscato, Paso Robles, 1999. The storeclerk said that these were sweet, and good to start on.

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2003

Earl Grey is an afternoon tea.

- joeyz6 - 01-27-2003

I don't disagree about pop ... but the tea I drink doesn't have any caffeine, and an easy solution if you're getting dehydrated is to drink just one cup.

In any case, getting back to wine, I hope you enjoy your new purchases more than the previous ones. Post to share your thoughts.