WineBoard
vocab. terms - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: vocab. terms (/thread-17432.html)

- fourtywest - 08-27-2001

could someone tell me the difference between and old world wine and new world wine and what makes an old world wine?

- Thomas - 08-27-2001

Generally, the term Old World refers to wines produced in Europe and New World refers to wines produced in North and South America, Australia and New Zealand.

Also generally--very generally--Old World is a style that refers to the earth from which grapes are grown and New World is a style that refers to the reliance on technology grand scale winemaking.

But truly Old World wines would come from Iran, Iraq, Armenia and parts of the Middle East, provided they still produce them...

- Innkeeper - 08-27-2001

An excellent chapter on the distinction can be found in Andrea Immer's "Great Wine Made Simple", now available for around $18 at discount. Amazon and others have it at that price.

- Botafogo - 08-27-2001

Old World Wines are and taste like they are from some place. New World Wines (many of which are made in the Old World for consumtion in the American market) taste like they were made by some ONE.

It is about the cult of terroir (place, dirt, typicity) vs the cult of the Wine "maker" ("we have the technology so who cares about the vineyards"). There was a very involved article in this week's New York Times explaining the sort of chemical and physical manipulation run amok that many famous wine "makers" use to make wines designed for focus groups and Mr. Parker. The best traditional producers will say to a man to their dying breath "God makes the wines in the vineyard and our job is to not screw it up"....

This is not just a matter of taste, it is a near religous schizm at the juncture of commerce and tradition. On a not unrelated note, do you think Aretha Franklin would even get a record deal in this age of pre-fab sex kitten "singers" like Brittney Spears? No, she's too old world, sounds like church and sex and chitlins and she's not pretty enough to make videos..... The "gatekeepers" would nix that deal the way the buyers at many wineshops and restaurants "protect" you from traditional wine styles.

la guerra continua, Roberto

- Thomas - 08-27-2001

Gee, I suppose I was too soft with my response--but I do agree with Roberto.

- Botafogo - 08-27-2001

Foodie, do you think the press would be worth the grief if we declared a Jihad / Crusade and invaded tasting rooms in Napa / Sonoma / Toscana / Umbria to fight for the past????

- winoweenie - 08-27-2001

Foodie I just hate it when Roberto starts tip-toeing 'round a subject. WW

- Thomas - 08-27-2001

I like the Jihad idea, although I know you and I, Roberto, have already been planting a few martyr bombs around our individual towns,just not suicide bombs--yet. As for the press: hopeless cause--best to pound the message home directly to the consumer.

WW, Roberto is nuthin' if he ain't vociferous--look it up in the dichunerry!

- cpurvis - 08-27-2001

The Vociferous Wine Traditionalist's Crusade...hmm, sounds good...book me a ticket!
cp

- fourtywest - 08-27-2001

thank you all for your replys. they were not only informative but enjoyable to read.

- Botafogo - 08-27-2001

On another music related note, did any of you catch the Biography Special on A&E tonight called "Hitmakers, the Kids who changed the Music"?

It is the thrilling story of how a bunch of white Jewish kids like Lieber and Stoller (Curmy's FAVORITES and, I am proud to say, Charter WINE EXPO-isti), Carole King & Jerry Goffin and Doc Pomus followed their hearts in a search for authenticity, heartfelt emotional expression and, YES, a sense of time and place (the place was Brooklyn and the time was the late 50's and early 60's but has since become eternal) and managed to write much of the canon of not only Rock and Roll but also Black R&B in the process... And, since Don Kirschner screwed them all out of any real money at the time, it was done for love not filthy lucre (har, har, har).

I keep praying for the kids of the current crop of technocrat wine "makers" in Italy (and even worse, Spain) to confront dad with "You know, Grandpa made good wine too...." and start the vinous equivalent of Punk Rock. Three chords, an off key but honest voice and an attitude can move more people than Pat Boone, Winger or Mariah Carey anytime....

Never mind the Bullocks, here's the Pepe Sisters, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-27-2001).]

- wondersofwine - 08-28-2001

I did catch part of "Hitmakers" and was amused by the story of how all these artists worked in side-by-side cubicles. When they had some success they might be moved to a room by themselves.