WineBoard
Wines for Gala at the Nat'l Air & Space Museum - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wines for Gala at the Nat'l Air & Space Museum (/thread-17426.html)

- Witty Wino - 07-01-2004

Hello all you wine experts out there! My husband and I really enjoy wines, exclusively reds in our home. Here's my dilemma. I am in the meeting planning business and have the honor of planning a gala for about 350 people to be held at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. We are working with a local destination management company in D.C. that gave us a list of wines to choose from for the gala dinner. I must admit that I haven't heard of most of them. Can someone out there please help me with this list as I don't want to have our wines be a flop. We'll be serving a high end "surf and turf" menu. Here are the ones the company recommends.

Whites:
Estrella Chardonnay
Redwood Creek Chardonnay
Cypress Chardonnay
R.H. Phillips Sauvignon Blanc
Snoqualmie Sauvignon Blanc
Bella Sera Pino Grigio

Reds:
Redwood Creek Merlot
Estrella Merlot
Mirassou Pinot Noir
Torrato Chianti 2002
Belmondo Merlot 2001

Blush:
Beringer White Zinfadel 2003
Sutter Home White Zinfadel 2002

Sparkling:
Simonet Brut (France)
Dom St. Michelle Brut (Washington State)
Hacienda Brut (California)

Have you ever heard of or tried any of these wines, and what did you think of them? Can you describe whether they're dry or fruity, or what type of finish they have? The gala planning committee will likely ask me for my recommendations on a conference call scheduled for July 7th. So, anything you can do to get me your thoughts before then would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Witty Wino

- Brom - 07-01-2004

Upfront I can tell you that these are not "high end" wines. Almost all would seem to me poorly matched for a "high end surf and turf dinner".

I don't know what you will be charging your guests, but this sounds like the type of an affair at which it would be an insult to serve a $4 bottle of wine, which is essentially what your white zin and the Redwood Creeks are.

You will certainly want one of each basic type - red, white and rosé. You have sparkling wine options listed, but I don't know I would serve a sparkling wine except maybe during the cocktail hour. I don't think most people will ask for "champagne" to accompany their dinner.

I am guessing that budgetary concerns guided the caterer/destination company in making these suggestions?

I can make specific comment on certain of the wines listed, but first I would ask if you have the option of throwing out the entire list (bearing in mind there are at least a couple of possibilities on it) and getting the next bracket up the scale to match the overall high end quality of the affair?

Thanks so much for the quick feedback, Brom. I was afraid of just what you described. The dmc is just trying to cut corners to get more bang for THEIR buck. We're not actually charging our attendees anything as this is a sponsored event. That said, however, we are trying to be cost-conscious. The reason for the sparkling wines is that there'll be a short reception when people arrive at the museum, and they'll be serving the champagne then. If you have one wine suggestion for each category (trying to keep with any good ones they've listed) I can see if they'll consider going to the next shelf higher to make for a classier presentation. Will look forward to hearing from you. WW

- Innkeeper - 07-01-2004

The following is based on what I think the people would like, versus what I would like. It is based on a lot of research and experience in wining large crowds.

1. Estrella Chardonnay

2. Estrella Merlot

3. Beringer White Zin

4. Domaine St Michelle Brut

Thank you, Innkeeper. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I think that's why they have these selections....because they are for "wining large crowds." Will look forward to thoughts from others, as well. WW

- Thomas - 07-01-2004

The trouble always arises when events are intended to wow the attendees but not by spending money, at least not on wine. Many events I have been hired to consult on the wine think nothing of spending big for the meal and then cut corners for the wine. I'm with Brom. You can't get a quality pairing that way.

Now, if the idea is to just quash their thirst, go with the low-end swi--I mean, stuff... And for that, IK's list is fine.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-01-2004).]

Thanks, Foodie. I can appreciate your comments. I'd still like to hear from Brom with his ideas on the alternative wine selections that would work for this type of occasion....but without going "over the top" in pricing, of course. WW

- wondersofwine - 07-01-2004

I notice they have a Snoqualmie Sauvignon Blanc on the list. I don't have experience with that but know they do a credible job with their Merlot and Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend. I suggest either of those for the turf part of the menu. Much as I love Pinot Noir, it's not the best match for steak.
For white wine an inexpensive German Riesling such as Lingenfelder Bird Label or Leitz Dragonstone would be a better choice
($12-15 range retail but cheaper to restaurants and caterers probably.) Or maybe a Macon Villages wine from France.
I would agree with the Beringer White Zinfandel for a crowd-type rose. And agree with the St. Michelle Brut for the sparkler at the reception. (Domaine Chandon is another West Coast possibility).
Is the surf part of the menu lobster tail with drawn butter? If so, a buttery chardonnay might be a good match although normally I try to avoid fat buttery chardonnays from California (that's why I suggested the Macon Villages or a Riesling).
Clos du Bois Chardonnay might fill the bill for a more buttery Chard ($15-22) while Geyser Peak Chardonnay is another possiblity (about $12?)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-01-2004).]

- Brom - 07-01-2004

I have no new suggestions right off the top of my head, but I do agree with inkeeper on the utility of a couple of the wines on your list.

While wine hobbyists might be more pleased to see a classically styled rosé wine, as far as I know, white zin is still the most popular wine in the country and with 350 guests, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 100 ask for it by name.

I think among white zins, Beringer makes an acceptable product and has the most 'name cachet'.

I am sure I speak for several others here in that the taste of beringer white zin is a distant memory. I think it is rather sweetish, but honestly do not recall. Unfortunately for Sutter Home, who also makes what I seem to recall is an acceptable product, their name has been downgraded, ironically due to the success they have had with this very wine.

The Domaine Ste. Michelle is also a nice wine, highly thought of in both the public and the wine press. I don't think you will go wrong with this, but there is one alternative I might suggest.

The hottest sparklers on the market these days are Italian Proseccos. There are more than several makers available in the US. I would point you to Bele Casel for one. This wine and most others far as I can tell are in the price range of the Ch. Ste. Michelle.

I would be 50/50 on either sparkler.

Thanks for the comments from Wondersofwine and Brom. I seem to have a lot of info to digest here....perhaps I need to mull it over with a fine wine. I'll run this past our committee and let you know if they still need more suggestions. You've all be wonderful! Thank you, everyone....WW

- Kcwhippet - 07-01-2004

Boy, I really have to agree with Brom here. In fact, I'd go even further and say the choices they gave you are close to bottom of the list (and I'm being kind here). Let them know that you know they're trying to foist the low end junk on you, and have them give you the better list (and keep the price down). Let us know if they really do have an alternative list. Actually I know they SHOULD because I spend a decent amount of time down in DC and I've never seen the wines they've offered you in any of the places I've been.

- Witty Wino - 07-02-2004

Thanks Kcwhippet. I appreciate your candor and like your suggestion. We'll see what they have for wines on their "next shelf up" and try to get their pricing so we can negotiate. Will share the new list with the group to see what you think of it. Have a great 4th Holiday weekend, everyone! WW

- winoweenie - 07-02-2004

Witty I've had the WW tag almost ever since the board started. So there is no confusion, please use something else for your abbreviation so's not to confuse the casual glancer. Tankke. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]