WineBoard
I like the screw caps - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I like the screw caps (/thread-17414.html)

- willp58 - 02-28-2003

Instead of corks. I have buying Merlot by Livingston by the gallon for 9.99.
This is good wine. I haven't posted here before so do any of you folks like that one?
Or is it considered not so good?
Thanks

- Innkeeper - 02-28-2003

Hi Will, and welcome to the Wine Board. Jug wine has been proffered for decades with screw tops, and Livingston is one of those. It is made to be consumed in a very short period of time. The new screwtop movement is to find a closure that will keep wines (certainly a very small number versus the total worldwide production) that have to aged for some peroid of time in the same condition as corks formerly tried to do.

If you enjoy the Livingston Merlot that's fine.

- BEEBEEP - 03-01-2003

I like to use the Livingston Red Rose California table wine for cooking, and I usually enjoy a glass or two while using it. It’s not bad wine at all, but after having tried some better stuff I find it “one dimensional” (for lack of better terminology). Compared to the Livingston, stuff like Bogle, J. Lohr, and Francis Coppola are like having a flavor explosion going off in your mouth.

PS: I like Riunite Lambrusco (AKA screw cap wine) too [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] It really doesn’t mater what others think, it’s what you like that counts

[This message has been edited by BEEBEEP (edited 03-01-2003).]

- Drew - 03-02-2003

Personally I hate the screwcaps. Please tell me what the problem is with the synthetic cork other than the occasional tough extraction? Is it that much more $ to produce over natural cork and screwcaps are overall that much cheaper to produce?

Drew

- mrdutton - 03-02-2003

Bonny Doon is using screw caps on their Ca' del Solo line. They seem to work quite well. Once opened and resealed, I could not get a bottle to leak when I placed it on its side or upside down.

If liquid would not leak out, then air is not leaking in.

The closure they use is a Stelvin (TradeMark) Closure. To learn more about these closures check out this Web Site:

www.pea.pechiney.com

To check out Bonny Doon go to this Web Site:

www.bonnydoonvineyard.com

Bonny Doon has even taken the time to put small flyers on their bottles extolling the benefits of a Stelvin closure. The say, "Never a corked bottle. Specifically, wines sealed with a Stelvin closure are not susceptible to "corkiness", that noxious mustiness which all too often taints wines sealed with even the most expensive traditional corks. In addition, extensive research shows that the Stelvin closure makes a nearly perfect airtight seal, actually better than a cork. This means your bottle of Big House will age (conserve the wine mavens would sniff) more slowly and elegantly than if it were sealed with a conventional cork."

Of course Bonny Doon does not have much to say about artificial corks. They are too busy praising the Stelvin closure and themselves....... (GRIN!!)

- vinman - 03-04-2003

We have been selling the Bonny Doon Stelvin closure (Big House White & Red) and two prominent rieslings from down under for more than three months now, with spectacular results! Riesling is particularly adaptable to the closure, but turn-around reds of character can do nicely as well. Need more of it!

- Thomas - 03-05-2003

What technical reason makes Riesling particularly adaptable?

- willp58 - 03-05-2003

Well I'm sure glad to see others like screw caps too.
Noone can convince me that a cork is needed to keep wine airtight...
Is it the traditional/purist mind at work that "requires" the cork?

- vinman - 03-05-2003

Foodie!
The rieslings that take well to such a closure are usually young wines, without extended aging potential. It has yet to be determined whether or not such a closure will survive, with the wine...maybe like a Grosset Polish Hill or even your own Alsacan favorites. With no history, young wines seem to be the most logical choices for the closure, for now at least. In the end, the very fact that most rieslings offer up less heft and oak, not to mention less alcohol, make the varietal suitable for early quaffing and very consumer friendly.

- willp58 - 03-06-2003

Hey all those fancy wine names and terms make me feel like a clod...No wonder I like screw caps...hehe
What does all this mean?

Grosset Polish Hill ---Alsacan ----rieslings --heft -- varietal --- quaffing

signed,
the Greenhorn

- Thomas - 03-07-2003

Thanks vinman, for the explanation; thought I had missed something.

- wondersofwine - 03-07-2003

To willp58, I will tackle a few of the terms. If I'm wrong, someone will probably correct me. Grosset may be winery or producer and Polish Hill a vineyard or brand name. Wondering if Alsacan means Alsatian (wines from Alsace, French province bordering Germany) or if its not a typo but an altogether different name. A varietal is a type of grape such as riesling, sauvignon blanc, zinfandel, pinot noir, syrah or shiraz, chardonnay, pinot gris or pinot grigio, merlot, sangiovese, nebbiolo, etc.
A wine made from a riesling grape in California should have certain aroma/flavor similarities to a wine made from a riesling in Germany or New Zealand or Alsace. But the soil and climate (which contribute to "terroir"--sense of territory of a specific piece of land), growing methods, winemaking methods and clone used will make for differences in the rieslings from different locales. I take "heft" to mean weight or body. A wine that seems weighty in the mouth--that maybe has a lingering finish after swallowing. Vinman is saying that rieslings are not noted for heft or oak taste imparted by fermenting and/or storing in oak barrels. A wine with lots of heft doesn't taste watery or fleeting. Quaffing refers to lighthearted or light in body wines, pleasant to drink in large gulps, not needing food to balance tannic acids or out-of-balance acidity. If your mouth is puckering or drying out from acid or tannins, then the wine is not an easy drinker. "Mellow" is a term I sometimes use for the easy drinkability of a riesling with some residual sugar left after the wine completes fermentation. In an analogy, you might "quaff" apple juice in large swallows but might choke on a large swallow of bourbon or brandy if you are not used to alcoholic beverages. Hope this helps. Maybe Vinman will respond and correct what he was really saying.

- willp58 - 03-08-2003

wondersofwine,
Thanks for the explaination of terms. I guess I never realized wine was so "specialized"..
I grew up drinking home made wine from Concord grapes here in western NYS... I seriously doubt that this wine would even be considered drinkable to many folks here..
But after about 3-4 swallows it gets "better". The thinking was -- if it's red and it's fermented grape juice, well then it's close enough..
What I'm trying to say is that we were never too fussy about all those little differences like I see here.
I never really cared for dry wine, the sweeter stuff is more pleasurable to me anyways...My friends claim that a true wine conny-sewer must have dry..So I try to switch and sure enough after 3-4 swallows, it doesn't matter anymore.

- Meijokahn - 03-11-2003

As a glass jar collector, I like the corks better. A screw cap cheapens the glass... But I guess you guys care more about the wine than the bottle! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]