WineBoard
Good White German, or better from .... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Good White German, or better from .... (/thread-17375.html)

- olaf - 05-11-2000

Hi, I am looking for a very good white german wine. I want to impress a girl I have over for dinner, and she told me that she only likes white german wines, because they are so nice sweat.

Is there any body that can point me to some good german wines, or tell me why a other wine is better? Would also like to know some background on the wine.

Thanks,

Olaf

- hotwine - 05-11-2000

Tell your local wine merchant that you would like to buy at least two bottles of a good quality Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Auslese. Chill them both thoroughly before offering a glass to your lady. You'll go through the first bottle quickly, and can pause to slowly enjoy the second.
The MSR is made from the Riesling grape, along the banks of the Mosel River and its tributaries in SW Germany. The Auslese is made from selected clusters of grapes, and tends to be sweeter than an ordinary Riesling made as a table wine. Beerenauslese and Trochenbeerenauslese and Eiswein are sweeter still, much more expensive and best suited to serving as dessert wines, in my opinion. You can learn more about the wines of Germany by checking the postings on this Board under Rieslings, and by searching on the Internet under the keyword Riesling.

- mrdutton - 05-11-2000

Right on HOTWINE!

- Innkeeper - 05-12-2000

Don't forget the German Rhein Wines. The Rhein (Rhine in English) flows from south to north, so upriver is south. The two most prominent regions are the Rheingau (just up from the confluence with the Mosel), and the Rheinhessen (a little further "up"). These and other Rheins run about one degree sweeter than the M-S-Rs. This means that a Rheingau Riesling Kabinett will taste the same (in regard to sweetness) as an M-S-R Riesling Spatlese. If we had to pick a single German wine to have with a wide variety of German dishes, or just for sipping, it would be the Rheingau Riesling Kabinett.

- hotwine - 05-12-2000

Innkeeper is right on with his comments about the Rhein wines. Twenty odd years ago when I lived in Wiesbaden I thought the wines of the Rheingau were without equal. But I think they really need authentic German cooking to do them justice; for our modern American diet that is so lean and low-fat, and dominated by chicken in all of its bland forms, the citrusy tartness of the MSRs is refreshing, even with (groan) steamed vegetables.

- Randy Caparoso - 05-13-2000

Impressing a woman? Good luck! It used to be easy -- give them something white and sweet, with an unpronouncable name, and they're yours. Now, it actually takes charm and personality on YOUR part. Imagine that.

But, no worries. You can do it. Just look at John Travolta, or the guys on Party of Five or something of that nature. Not a brain in the bunch -- just pure, masculine dumbness.

In other words, don't worry about the wine! Just be your own charming self. Any good German Riesling Kabinett -- which ALWAYS denotes a superior wine of slight sweetness -- will do. Serve it with sophisticated, "smart guy" appetizers -- prosciutto or other cured Italian cold cuts, chunks of Parmigiano or thin slices of Provolone, with juicy, fresh melon or cantaloup... she's all yours, baby! Be simple, but tasty. Be an ANIMAL! Be... you!