WineBoard
Wine Packaging - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Packaging (/thread-17355.html)

- hdavey - 11-26-2002

Could someone tell me what size of can does Wine normally come in. This is for research purposes.

- hotwine - 11-26-2002

Welcome to the board. Wine isn't sold in cans; it's sold in bottles, usually 750 ml (but also smaller and larger formats are sometimes available).

- hdavey - 11-26-2002

It is definitely sold in cans in the UK. I work in research for alcoholic drinks so am aware they are available, just not sure if it is 125ml or 250ml.

- Kcwhippet - 11-26-2002

I just checked with a friend of mine from the UK who's now in the US. He's very much into wine, and he said he wasn't aware they sold wine in cans in the UK.

- ShortWiner - 11-26-2002

Sure you're not thinking of beer? I have a suspicion that a can would effect the taste of wine.

I'm heading to London tomorrow for a few days, so I'll keep a lookout.

- Botafogo - 11-26-2002

I have a can of Beaujolais Nouveau from 1961 labeled in French and Vietnamese in my collection and it is a 700ml container....

Seems the French Foreign Legion got it airdropped into Indochine.

Roberto

- joeyz6 - 11-26-2002

I was in London a couple of weeks back and I didn't see any cans of wine. Plenty of 75 centiliter bottles, though.

Hdavey, maybe you are referring to some type of table wine that is sold in bulk? Or otherwise, maybe something having to do with wine production (that is, back at the winery and before it hits the market)?

- WSmith - 11-26-2002

Out of curiosity, I did an internet search for this...I found a few references to the older cans distributed to soldiers that Botafogo mentioned and I also found that you can order a "concentrate" in cans to make large batches of wine.

I'm a former beer snob who has taken an interest in wine and with very few exceptions (Boddingtons, Guinness, Tetley's, etc) a can DOES have a huge impact on the taste. Of course, I'd assume the wine they put in cans is about the same quality as good ole American Boonesfarm, so taste might not be an issue here [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

In any event, if this is something that you believe is fairly common, maybe a quick trip to the corner store could answer your question.

- hotwine - 11-26-2002

I recall a brief period back in the '60's when Beaujolais was available in small cans in the San Antonio area. They might have been 125 ml size...something of that sort. They were on the market for maybe a year, then disappeared, and haven't been seen locally since. The wine wasn't bad, but faced some very stiff competition from local breweries that seemed to have proved fatal.

- Thomas - 11-27-2002

Maybe hdavey is talking about wine coolers, which sometimes came in cans, but always weren't wine.

- ShortWiner - 12-03-2002

Didn't see any cans while in London this weekend . . .

- Kcwhippet - 12-03-2002

Didn't think you would.

- Bucko - 12-03-2002

WW bought them all out -- cornered the market, the sly devil.

Press clip:

Wine in a can is the latest idea from Australian vintner Greg Stokes, who produced 30,000 cans of Iron Bridge Cabernet Shiraz. Each can holds 2 glasses of wine and cans are great for picnics, barbeques and outdoor events.

- Thomas - 12-04-2002

"cans are great for picnics, barbeques and outdoor events."
So are ants.

Bucko, where did you see that blurb, and did it work?

- cpurvis - 12-04-2002

hmmm...so many possibilities...discreetly labeled cans and my cab/shiraz (better yet zin) goes unnoticed amongst the soft drinks in the office 'fridge.

cp

- Bucko - 12-04-2002

Foodie, I found it on a Google search. I don't even drink beer in cans.......

- Thomas - 12-05-2002

Bucko, I meant, did it work for the Aussie marketing?

I never dreamed you would have tried wine in cans--Verne, maybe, but never you...

- hdavey - 12-05-2002

Have you tried wine from a box?

- Innkeeper - 12-05-2002

American wine in a box is plonk. How so ever, the friendly folks from Oz are again plowing new marketing earth by beginning to sell good stuff in boxes. None have reached our shores yet. Stand by.

- hdavey - 12-05-2002

Loads have reached the UK and their are some pretty good ones out there - particularly Banrock Station - Cabernert Shiraz from Australia.
4 bottles of red wine in one container is my idea of heaven!