WineBoard
Looking For Suggestions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Looking For Suggestions (/thread-17280.html)

- jp9250 - 06-18-2007

I've been enjoying wine for a good long while, but have only recently started paying closer attention to exactly what I've been drinking. I'd pick up a bottle that caught my eye, take it home and give it a go. Sometimes I'd do better than others, but I usually did ok (at least my uneducated self thought so and I figured that's the important part). The problem is, I rarely remembered what I liked more, or why I liked it more for that matter. Anyway, I'm looking to educate myself a bit and wonder if there are any base line examples of various wines that could serve as points of comparison. I'm not looking for the quintessential wine here, just a good starting point (easy on the wallet would be nice as well). My usual suspects are cabs, merlots, pinots and reislings, but I'm open to just about anything. Sorry, I do tend to ramble........thanks in advance, jp

- Innkeeper - 06-18-2007

Hi jp and welcome to the Wine Board. Recommend you go out and pick up a soft back copy of Andrea Immer (Robinson's) "Great Wine Made Simple." She walks you though tastings of Cabs, Merlots, Pinots, Rieslings, Chardonnays, and Sauvignon Blanc; the six most popular wines in the world and four of those you seem to like best.

Since the book was written a few years back, you might also want to pick up her "2007 Wine Buying Guide for Everyone." In it she gives lots of information on hundreds of the currently best selling wines from the most inexpensive to some on the top tier.

- wineguruchgo - 06-18-2007

An easy way to do this is to start paying attention to the style of the wine you particularly like.

There are old world wines: France, Italy, Germany, Spain & Greece which will tend to be earthy, dusty reds and light oak high acid whites.

The new world wines: US, Australia, New Zealand & Chile will be more fruit foward wines (less earthy and dusty) for reds and the whites tend to be more buttery and oaky (chardonnay anyway).

Once you have decided what style you like (and it's ok to like both) have some fun with this.

Get a bottle of Syrah from the Rhone Valley in France and a Shiraz from Australia around the same price and open them both. Each bottle, when taken care of will last a couple of days. Taste them side by side. Write down your thoughts.

Next do it with Merlots, Cabs, Chardonnays, etc...

Invite people over and assign each of them a region. Let's say Sauvignon Blanc: NZ, Loire, California, etc...

Wine should be fun. Others might have suggestions as well.

- wdonovan - 06-19-2007

Good advice, guruch.

- jp9250 - 06-21-2007

thanks, will do.............jp

- Izzy - 06-21-2007

JP,

One other piece of advice...you're in Jax right? There is a GREAT wine store over off of 9A and Butler Blvd called "Total Wine". Go pick yourself up their free copy of their Wine Guide. It looks like a slick magazine. It's a fantastic read and it'll really help you out.

- jp9250 - 06-26-2007

thanks Izzy....I actually went there last week and was a bit overwhelmed. I also found a smaller neighborhood shop on Edgewood and they've been helpful. I've ordered the book Innkeeper recommended and am looking forward to its' delivery. Thanks to all........jp