WineBoard
recommend a wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: recommend a wine (/thread-17267.html)

- laprimeraves - 06-14-2003

I work in printing and I have been reading alot about wines, and I would like some one to give advice on a sweet, smooth and tastey if there is anything like for wines. I will spend no more then $20.00

- Georgie - 06-14-2003

Welcome to the board. First of all, you needn't keep asking the same question over and over. When someone has an answer for you, they will reply. The only time a question goes unanswered is if no one has an answer for you. As far as a wine with no "kick" as you put it, I don't believe such a wine exists since all wine contains alcohol. If you are looking for something sweet with a low level of alcohol, perhaps you would enjoy a beverage such as Arbor Mist.

- Innkeeper - 06-14-2003

Welcome to the Wine Board. You might want to try a Lambrusco. Reunite, if you can't find anything else.

- stevebody - 06-15-2003

LA,

Try one of the Italian Moscato D'Astis or a Prosecco. The moscatos are almost always low in alcohol (from 4 to 7%), are a little sweet and sometimes slightly sparkling (What the Italians call "frizante")

Wine just may not be your thing, if the "kick" is something you worry about. Try some mixed drinks, in which you control the alcohol. Hey, no shame in it. Some people just don't care for wine, although wine weenies like me like to say that you just haven't find the wine you like, yet. That may be, too. Good tip: find a good local wine shop, befriend a salesperson, and level with them. They'll give you the kind of one-to-one help that would benefit you more than this forum. If they act like you're bothering them, move on. That's not a great wine saleman; that's an a-hole.

- laprimeraves - 06-26-2003

I have tried a couple wines so far. The first one was semi- sweet and I had to kinda fight to swallow it down. I kinda gave up but then I read about the grat benefits it had for your health and it was pretty convincing to try again. I went and got a sweet wine, as it was catagorized in the aisles which was good for a novice like me. and it was quite pleasureful and if I would of had some good cheese it would have been perfect. The wine was actually still is barely St. Christina Weinkellerei 1999 mosel-saar-ruwer, I saw other different ones fron this maker, I think I'll try.

My next question is is ther a red wine that would be similar to this kinds taste. I heard that red wine would be better tasting. I tried one, 1999 Estancia Cabernet Sauvignon and man it just wasnt't my cup of tea.

- Innkeeper - 06-26-2003

Can't really tell exactly what you have tried. For reds, I still think you should start with a lambrusco.

ok ill give it a shot.

- randery - 06-26-2003

You may like a Beaujolais-Villages wine for a fruity red and reisling auslese for a sweet white. Good luck and enjoy.

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 06-26-2003).]

ok ill try that one too and let you know the results, and if I like it I'll ask for more recommendations.

- John Moore - 12-30-2003

Laprimeraves,
try a wine from Hungary called Red Ausbruch from Hungary. It has all the qualities in a red wine as you said you want above. I guarantee you'll like it way better than Lambrusco(too watery).

- wondersofwine - 12-30-2003

First, John, you can't "guarantee" that anyone will like a certain wine better than another wine. Secondly, you have an ulterior motive for answering postings which is to push wines you represent. This is supposed to be a noncommercial board where knowledgable wine lovers give their informed opinions.

- laprimeraves - 12-30-2003

I think I will try it since the New Year is approaching us tomorrow. John I like how observent you are. What kind would you recommend.

- laprimeraves - 12-30-2003

oops I mean wondersofwine. WHich do you recommend

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2003

I would recommend the Lambrusco as one being easier to find. Reunite Lambrusco is available wherever wine is sold. There are better ones available in better stores that will run from $10 to $15.

wonderofwine, first of all I am an knowledgdable wine lover first and foremost. I've only been giving advice on wines that I am very familiar with. Based on what our friend lamprimeraves is looking for I am willing to bet he will love the Hungarian Red Ausbruch. I mean the guy said in a few posts above that he was looking for a red wine that is sweet, smooth and tasty. The wine I recommend is exactly that. As far as having ulterior motives listen, I've already made it in the wine biz. I am simply granting my "informed opinion" based on my knowledge gained from years in the wine biz.

[This message has been edited by John Moore (edited 12-30-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2003

After all your posts, it looks like you bought too much Hungarian Red Ausbach, John. Trying to unload all that overstock, huh? Which one is it - the Blaufraenkisch or the Hajos-Bajal Kekfrankos?

Kc Kc Kc still going on strong with the selling thing. It's the kekfrancos, I also have a merlot and cabernet sauv.

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2003

So, John, you're offering what's essentially a late harvest Gamay from Hungary at about $26 against other recs for Beaujolais (also Gamay), Lambrusco and Moscato d'Asti, all of which can be had for less than $20. By the way, that's what laprimeraves asked for when he said "I will spend no more then $20.00".