WineBoard
Cellar questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Cellar questions (/thread-17230.html)

- goblue - 08-22-2005

I have several bottles of Aussie cabs and shiraz, some as old as 5-6 years based on the vintage date. How long will I be able to keep them in the cellar until I drink them? I know cabs have a decent cellar life and I assume shiraz does too?

- dananne - 08-22-2005

Hi, and welcome to the board.

Without knowing a bit more information, it's hard to give you a specific answer. First of all, what kind of storage do you have? If it's a temp-controlled cellar at 55-57* with the proper humidity, you can safely store wines for longer than if you have a room temperature set-up. Also, without knowing the wines/producers, it's hard to give you specifics on cellaring. Many Aussie wines are ready to go upon release, while others age better or might even need a certain amount of aging. Also, the answer to how long they can be cellared may differ from the answer to when they should optimally be consumed. Wine doesn't always improve with age -- at a certain point, even with the best of storage, it'll start going downhill. If you'd like, let us know what type of storage you have and the specifics on the bottles in question, and we'll try to give you some more specific answers.

- goblue - 08-22-2005

Thanks dananne! Here are some specifics. I do not have a temp. controlled cellar but I keep my wine I am saving in my basement in a dark, dry corner. The temp down there is closer to 60-65 degrees. I do have a humidifier down there so I try to keep the humidity regulated. My collection includes:

Penfolds(vintages 1998 thru present) cabernet, cab / shiraz blend, shiraz. The blend and shiraz is Koonunga Hill and the cab is a bin 47.

I also have a few bottles of McWilliams Shiraz (vintage 2000 - 2002)

Several Wolf Blass gold and yellow label Cabs (vintages 2000 - 2002)

I also have quite a few Rosemount Estate cabs and shiraz form various vintages (1998 - present)

I'm a best but kind of guy so most of my collection is in the $10 - $30 range. I realize most of the bottles can be consumed right away but I'd like to start stocking up on my favorites and keep them for a while. I guess I just don't want to be wasteful.

- dananne - 08-22-2005

Others may chime in with advice, too, but many of these are, IMHO, drink within 3-5 or 5-7 at the outset. The Penfolds Cab, which I'm guessing is not the Bin 47 but the Bin 407 (is that correct?) from the '01 and '02 vintages can cellar longer, perhaps 7-10 years from vintage. The Yellow Labels are ready now, and likely aren't going to improve too much from cellaring. Same for the Koonunga Hills and probably the Rosemount (but I have no experience with the latter). Also have no personal experience with the Wolf Blass Gold Label or the McWilliams. Generally speaking, the '01 and '02 vintages were good, and the '99 and '00 ones are drinking early. Hope that helps a bit, and again, others may help fill in the blanks.

- goblue - 08-22-2005

I'm sorry, the Penfolds is Bin 407, my fingers were moving faster than my brain. I appreciate the response. Looks like I need to start drinking some wine. Are there any resources on the web, or publications that can give cellar instructions for individual wines?

- wondersofwine - 08-22-2005

Wine Spectator reviews give a suggested drinking window (i.e., best from 2007-2012 or best 2010-2020, etc.) assuming cooler than room temperature storage. You used to be able to access recent WS reviews without paying, but you now have to subscribe to access either recent ratings or archival ratings.
You may also be interested in this website:
http://www.torbwine.com/
which concentrates on Australian wines--mostly red wines. He sometimes, but not always, includes a drinking window such as best after 2009.