WineBoard
Open to suggestions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Open to suggestions (/thread-17224.html)

- manlt - 03-06-2002

While in college, I simply drank the cheapest wine that i could fine. (usually, that came in a box-ugh.) anyway, i'm now trying to venture out and actually try good (not neccessarily expensive) wines. however, when i go to a wine store, they ask me stuff like, "do i like my chardonnay crisp or buttery?" i'm definately not advanced enough to articulate my preferances to this extent. i like chardonnay and merlot. i also like riesling and pinot grigio. i don't like savignon blanc. i tend to like my wine sweeter (hence the reisling) and smoother. does anyone have any suggestions. what's your favorite wine?

- lizardbrains - 03-07-2002

Okay, I hope nobody flips out when I say this (warning to you all: plug your ears/eyes!)!!!! [manlt, I've heard some say that they think this brand is too cliche, or whatever the word is that they use.]

The best Chardonnay that I've ever tasted is the Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay. Now, it's not the normal one, it's the better one. (They have 2 Chardonnays.) I think the better one is labeled as "Estate", but it's definitely a little more expensive than their normal Chardonnay.

I don't know how to describe it either, except that it's very smooth. I had it with no food, and it tasted great! Then I had it with mini-quiches and other finger foods and it still tasted great!

I can't say that I have a favorite of ALL wines, but that's my favorite of all Chardonnays. Good luck! And let us know what you find!

- wondersofwine - 03-07-2002

You might try an Australian shiraz (Rosemount, Paringa, Penfolds or other brand) and see if you like that as a red wine. If you do, you could also try syrah from southern France or California (same grape varietal as shiraz).
My favorites have evolved over time and tasting. I started with German rieslings and still love them. But now I get excited over red and white burgundies, some American pinot noirs, gewurztraminer, and some zinfandels. I'm still on a learning curve with Italian and Australian wines.
Another white wine you might like is Vouvray from the Loire Valley region of France. I also like Sancerre wines--white, rose or red but the white is from the sauvignon blanc so you might not care for it.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-07-2002).]

- vinman - 03-20-2002

Sounds like me and many people that I know! Rieslings can be tricky sometimes, but there is one that pretty much fits your description: Geyser Peak California Johannisberg Riesling. Have you tried it? Another is Bridgeview Oregon Blue Moon Riesling, good fruit, off-dry. Both inexpensive. But for fun, why not Sokol Blosser "Evolution" ? Not at all dry, very easy to drink, and exotic for under $15! Unfortunately, there are so many others, so little time!

- Drew - 03-20-2002

Manlt, Bonny Doon's "Pacific Rim" Riesling is delicious and reasonably priced. If you want to try a smooth drinking tasty red try the 2000 Bogle "Old vines" Zinfandal that I reported on in the Zin thread. It has the "sweet" fruit forwardness of Zin with the baby butt smooth of Merlot.

Drew