WineBoard
Yep another question : ) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Yep another question : ) (/thread-17207.html)

- Cadell - 09-04-2001

Ok, I've been doing some reading over the last few days on both the board and I bought some books but I have not come across an answer yet to my question....which is, I am going to attend my first wine tasting at a local wine shop on Thursday for their first event after summer break, but they are going to be tasting champagnes(yes with a capital (C))and while I have read on tasting other wines, I haven't see anything on tasting champagnes or sparkling wines. So while no matter what I will look like and be a newbie, I prefer not to make any "dumb" mistakes if I can help it. So HELP!?!

C

- cpurvis - 09-04-2001

Cadell, no real shockin' differences between a reg'lar wine tastin' & a champagne tastin'. As the fellas say here, "Taste, notate, taste." Just pay attention to aromas, tastes & "mouthfeel" & determine what you like.

Hopefully, Tom Stevenson or Roberto will weigh in shortly w/ some specifics for you.

cp

- Thomas - 09-04-2001

The first thing to look for is the glass. If they serve the wine in those stupid flat-shaped glasses, walk out of that place--fast.

If served from either a flute or Bordeaux glass, check out the buubles. Nice, tight tiny bubbles is a good first step. After that, swirl, sniff and taste.

- Cadell - 09-04-2001

Okedeedokedee just wanted to make sure it was the same.....didn't want anybody thinking I was trying to catch a buzz sniffin bubbles ya know...lol

Preciate the info!

C

- Bucko - 09-04-2001

Hey, we may have a junior WW in the making...... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 09-05-2001

Buckingham, do youse tink he mite hab some Okie in hisself? Sure do talk good! WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 09-05-2001).]

- Cadell - 09-05-2001

Well my grandaddy ...used to make a little "wine" of his own...course the law man said it wasn't wine, it was moonshine and a no no...but pappa Frank was a nice man and passed his brew out to those less fortunate than hisself throughout the carolinas tennessee and geeeorgia up til the time he went and got himself shot by those who thought he was lyin when he said he had no money(did I forget to mention he was runnin a gambling type establishment out of his auto repair garage which his customers there were the main ones he was brewin for)....

Went back to South Carolina years ago when I was about 8, and pappa Frank had been dead for about 5 years, me father was cleaning up some of his property about 10 or 12 acres back in the woods so that the neighbor kids could ride their motorbikes back there, and we came across about 3 different stills the old man had back there that were never torn apart...

So yes me friend...I do have a dash of the Ok/Hick in muaself.

C

[This message has been edited by Cadell (edited 09-05-2001).]

- cpurvis - 09-05-2001

WW, I know the teeth have fallen out & the mem'ry is failin', so I'll remind you again that I managed to snooker a gradjiat bid'ness degree outta OU a few years back. So there's the Okie influence on this southern boy...BTW, a far different thing than "oaky".

An' Bucko, no danger of a replicating a Winoviognee in junior form...modern science would surely fail at any attempt to clone or copy. It's jus' so rare that WW says somethin' intelligible that it automatically becomes memorable..."taste, notate, taste"! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

cp

- Cadell - 09-05-2001

Dare I also say that while a few of my siblings were born in the Carolina's, I was born in Scottsdale and still call the Phoenix area my real home(and am trying very hard to convince my company to send me back there) WW?

Although how is this lineage for you,

Mother's side....Father's parents Irish immigrants...Mother's from Quebec with French ancestry.

Father's side...pure hill folk...although dating back to England at some point.

So I guess that would by lines make me a French Irish Hick....darn...and my friends always wonder why I'm so stubborn,have an attitude and mounted a gun rack in my truck...LOL.

C

- hotwine - 09-05-2001

Dang! Thanks for the reminder. Made a quick trip to the ranch this morning to retrieve a side of beef and left the 12 ga in the truck.

- winoweenie - 09-05-2001

Caudell, if'n you be lucky 'nuff to git sent back to the sticker-patch, let me know. Mite let you become a member of the BAWDIES, one of the hardest-drinkin, baddest-eatin', good-guy groups ebber put together. WW

- Cadell - 09-05-2001

Well WW....I will be sure to let ya know when I make it down there. And at the rate prices keep climbin here in Califernia, I may just have to quit me job and get another one flippin burgers in AZ, heck at the trading rate of $1 there equilizin $100 here, me take home pay would probly be about the same...