WineBoard
Reds and whites - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Reds and whites (/thread-17179.html)

- savagegarrick - 05-20-2005

Thanks to the wonderful movie Sideways I have decided to take up Wine drinking or tasting as I should say. So far I have tried Chardonay, Zinfindel, Pinot Grigio and for Reds; Muscadet, Shiraz and Pinot Noir. I definately seem to be leaning towards the whites. Especially the Pinot Grigio. The reds are Strong. I don't know how else to describe it. I really want to learn about all wines. I consider myself a beer conoseur, I love the Micro-brews and look forward to many brands seasonals and new flavors. I woulk like this to carry over into wine. Are there Reds some of you might suggest to someone who mostly likes the whites so far? Will my pallete develop after a while? Will that Pinot Noir I hear so much about ever tatse good in my mouth?

- Innkeeper - 05-20-2005

Hi Savage and welcome to the Wine Board. You are fortunate to be in Hawaii. When we were there; circa '72-'77, we found that the selection of California Wine was sensational. We found that this was because when Hawaii "accepted" statehood, one provision was that trade with California would not be "deemed" interstate trade!

The Zinfandel you have been drinking must have been White Zinfandel (made from the red grape Zinfandel with minimum contact with skins from which red wines get their color). Muscadet is a white wine.

An easy red to get into is Beaujolais. This comes from France and not California, but I know you can get it there. Look for plain ole Beaujolais, Beaujolais Villages, and the "Cru" Beaujolias that have village names such as Fleurie, and Morgon. This does not include Beaujolais Nouveau. This come out in November (with much fanfare) of the year in which it was harvested. It is made fast, and it fades fast.

Once you find lighter reds to enjoy you can try others. Some Pinot Noirs are lighter than others. Usually the less expensive ones are lighter than those that cost more. Look for those in the $10-$12 range.

- wineguruchgo - 05-20-2005

Hello SG,

As you have noticed it's much easier to tolerate white wines than red.

Red wines do have a "stronger" taste yet this taste is tempered by food.

Pinot and Beaujolais are a great start for reds. If you find yourself grilling a steak or ribs I would venture into Merlot as well. Pour the wine into the glass for at least 1 hour before you are going to drink it and just let it sit there. When paired with food it is much easier to tolerate and appreciate.

Let us know how you do and if you have any more questions.

- Kazual - 05-20-2005

Hi Savage, I'm new here also and just tried the Beaujolais this week on recommendation from some savvy folks here on this board and it was wonderful for me. The bottle is a tad flowery and its the 2003 Georges Duboeuf's Beaujolais-Villages. I enjoyed it as its a more polite deep red wine and is bursting with fruity aromas and taste. On the lighter side, not as heavy and in your face type red, but quite subtle and no way simple. I had mine slightly chilled with a london broil steak salad. Was a very happy evening here. Trying new ones also, as the weeks go on....next stop will be a select Louis Jadot, maybe red, may just go for the white Puilly Fuisse that a friend of mine has as a favorite. Enjoy SG! Kaz

- savagegarrick - 05-27-2005

So, that salad sounds good. Was it a recipie, or did you create it yourself?

- savagegarrick - 05-29-2005

So, my wife and I tried the Beaujolais tonight with london broil and salad. Similar to what Kazual said. I thought the wine was alright. My wife hated it. She is not really into the wine thing like me.She is convinced I'm wasting money and will become an alcoholic. oh well. I'm havin' fun trying wines and learning about them.

- immolation75 - 06-17-2005

I'd love to try some Hawaian wines. FineLiving just did a show on some pineapple wines...very interesting. I'm new here too. I tend to lean toward the red wines (although I've found that I personally love reisling), Shiraz, Port, Cab, ect. My wife, on the other hand, loves the fruity white and rose wines. Too sweet for me though. Welcome to the board.

- wineguruchgo - 06-17-2005

Tell your wife that red wine is heart healthy and is recommeded by doctors!

In time, I promise, your palate will understand, accept and appreciate red wines. Give it a chance. So glad you're having fun!