WineBoard
Chardonnay - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Chardonnay (/thread-17176.html)

- jcloonac - 05-17-2000

Do you serve chilled or room temperature?

- mrdutton - 05-17-2000

Chardonnay - a white wine - is best served chilled at about 50 degrees F.

Most reds would be served at room temperature. But that is a misnomer. Since "room temperature" is based on European standards, here in America one would chill red wine to about 65 degrees to achieve "room temperature".

- Thomas - 05-18-2000

Here are the optimum wine serving temperatures.

whites: 55-60 degrees

reds: 60-65 degrees

rose: 50-55 degrees

sparkling: refrigerator temp, 40-45 degrees

ports, sherries, Madeira: 60-65 degrees, unless you are one of those who takes a sherry over ice, a practice I shall never understand.

- Innkeeper - 05-18-2000

When we picnic in waterfront park around the corner from us in August, the temperature of Penobscot Bay is 55%. So we just drop of picnic wine in the bay for 15 minutes light red, 25 minutes white, and 30 minutes bubbly. The point is, we have to swim in the lake!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-18-2000).]

- Kcwhippet - 05-18-2000

Not to steal anything from Mark Twain, but the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in Bridgton, Maine. Came out one morning and found a skim of ice on the dog's water dish, and this was in July.

- Thomas - 05-19-2000

Not to play "Top This" but I spent 1966 in the Air Force, stationed at Thule Greenland--never had wine, or anything else, that was so cold, and so dark in winter or bright in summer, all day (highs of 42 degrees F in summer).

- Bucko - 05-19-2000

I'll play devil's advocate. I like my whites around 65 degrees. The nuances are blunted at colder temperatures IMHO.

Bucko

- Thomas - 05-19-2000

So do I, Bucko, but for most people 60 degrees isn't much different.

- Innkeeper - 05-19-2000

Where do you guys like your reds? 75 Degrees, 85 degrees? Incidentally, the posting about the bay was precipitated by the fact that before we retired, guests would ask about swimming in the bay. When they inquired about the water temperture, we would say that the water was at the serving temperature of white wine. Then give them directions to the lake.

- Thomas - 05-20-2000

Innkeeper, I like both white and red at 65 degrees. Get all the aromas and flavors that way. In fact, I believe that a white wine that the producer claims must be served "well chilled" is likely to be a rather bland wine and so it can withstand the cold masking.

- winecollector - 05-20-2000

I have also found that some of the better quality white wines can be drank at room temperature. It is usually by accidental experimentation that I've discovered this. The meal calls for a white, and I didn't have enough time to chill it! Still though, I prefer most whites chilled, it just don't seem right if their not- like I'm breaking some sort of wine code of ethics!