WineBoard
First anniversary red wine help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: First anniversary red wine help (/thread-17139.html)

- tiny ham - 07-16-2003

Hi again. My hubby and I are having dinner at Ruth's Chris next weekend for our first anniversary (I've been once before and enjoyed the filet and au gratin potatoes - just delicious).

Anyway, I'm still really new to wines and saw that Ruth's Chris' website recommended a shiraz with their filets. I've never had shiraz and don't know what to expect. We went to Smith and Wollensky in Vegas last month and really enjoyed a bottle of Ballantine 1997 Merlot. I've had more experience with white wines but would like to experiment more with reds and feel next weekend will be a perfect opportunity. I'm not a fan of reds that taste too strong of alcohol, but the merlot last month was wonderful. Should I stick with something similar or try a shiraz? Any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks!

- Innkeeper - 07-16-2003

The fillets at Ruth's Chris is much more steak than at your normal restaurant. I would find it too much for a merlot, at least most merlots. The shiraz would work. My preferance would be an approachable cabernet sauvignon. As I recall they have some nice Australian Cabernet available. The bottom line is that it is your call and your anniversary. If you want to go with a merlot just do this; be sure to talk with a wine steward, and ask (within price points) for the most complex merlot he/she can recommend. The problem with most merlots is that they are not complex, and therefore can't stand up to a hefty steak.

- hotwine - 07-16-2003

I agree with IK. But if you'd like to have a Merlot, ask for Blackstone (Calif. label). It works quite well with Ruth's Chris style steaks. And it's inexpensive - about $8 at a discounter, so figure to spend $24 in a restaurant.

- JohnG - 07-17-2003

Here's a thought: pick up a bottle of shiraz before the big date and give it a try (see the appropriate board for inexpensive suggestions). Serve it with something derived from a cow so that you get a sense of how it will pair with steak. If you like it, pop for one at Ruth's Chris -- it will go very nicely. If it's not your cup of tea, stick with merlot and order one that the wine steward says will hold up to the steak. I second Hotwine's recommendation of Blackstone.

You'll be fine either way; it's often the occasion that makes the wine, rather than vice versa, and you're celebrating a big occasion!

- wondersofwine - 07-17-2003

Shiraz is a variety that combines dark fruit flavors with spice (pepper, clove, etc.) Of course, some taste spicier than others. The suggestion of trying one before the big night is good. The grocery store may have Paringa or Jacob's Creek Shiraz.

- tiny ham - 07-17-2003

Thanks for the suggestions! This is such a great board and everyone is so friendly and helpful. I'll definitely put your suggestions to use.

- Drew - 07-18-2003

Tiny Ham, let me throw a little gas on the fire. Many Aussie shiraz is big, over oaked,thick, gooey and over the top monster wines that don't pair well with food. No one other than me loves these wines more but I rarely pair them with steak and such because it overwhelms the food. See if Ruth's Chris will give you a list of their wines....many on this board can suggest a winning combo.

Drew