WineBoard
New member - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: New member (/thread-17109.html)

- pkimc - 04-08-2004

Glad to be here. Have been interested to know more about wines since 2 years ago when i was invited to have a couple of drinks at my friends house. Finally found the initiative to browse the net and get registered to this community to know more about wine. Basically, wat are the infos needed for beginners to know more about wine? All this while, i thought that the more expensive wine will be the better wine but from wat i found out, expensive wines sometimes doesnt taste better. Dont want to spend too much money here and would like to get the best out of my limited budget.

- Innkeeper - 04-08-2004

Hi Pkimc, and welcome to the Wine Board. You don't have to spend large amounts of money to get good wine. Don't know what you have available there. There are great values to be found in Australian wine right now due to the current glut of wine grapes there. Look for shiraz, cabernet sauvignon, and blends of these and other grapes, as well as whites such as chardonnay, riesling and sauvignon blanc. Other values right now come from Spain, Southern Italy, and Southern France.

- pkimc - 04-09-2004

Thanks Innkeeper. "There are great values to be found in Australian wine right now due to the current glut of wine grapes there" What do you mean with that?

- Innkeeper - 04-09-2004

What I mean is that there are more grapes being harvested in Australia (as well as California) than there is demand for wine. So large processors in both countries are taking this surplus and making it into very inexpensive wine.

- PinotEnvy - 04-09-2004

Hi pkmic,

From one novice to another, here is what I have been doing to learn. Obviously, I am here reading and learning. I occasionally stop into the local wine specialty stores. I found it is best to (once you find a store you like) go to that same place so that they remember you and what you have bought/liked in the past. They can help in suggestions. Chat with them as they are helpful as well as knowledgeable (if you go to a good shop). Often they have a couple samples out. Try one. Even if you are not going to buy that day, don't be shy.

Buy a book that is introductory to wine. I found a book called "Wine Savvy" the author escapes me that I like. It made an interesting suggestion to innexpensivly teach your toung on how to taste differant properties. They suggested to take 4 cups of tea. Taste one plain, one with sugar, one with sugar and lemon and one with cream. You will notice the sweetness of the sugar tea, how the acid of the lemon offsets the sugar in the lemon/sugar tea. Both have the same sugar, but one tastes sweeter.

My last suggestion I have is buy a few bottles of differant types when there is a major sale. It is better than buying only one at a time at full price since you will save in the long run.

- pkimc - 04-10-2004

Thanks Pinotenvy and Innkeeper....