WineBoard
Wine to go with Pasta - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine to go with Pasta (/thread-171.html)

- Antonio254 - 06-24-2000

I need to know what kind of wine would go well with Fettucinni Alfredo.

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2000

The Italian Wine of the Month around here is Barbara D'Alba. Definitely a red wine with this very rich white dish. No white wine made will stand up to it.

- winecollector - 06-25-2000

Innkeeper, I'm shocked! No white wine made will stand up to it? Perhaps you've been sneaking a little too much Cabernet Sauvignon lately? I think it's about time you turn in your WITHSTAND membership card! Oh no! What will Willie think?

If you want a white wine Antonio, I've personally had Gruner/Veltliner with this dish, and it matches up beautifully. Innkeeper's suggestion for a red is fine. Also, for another red, a better quality Rosso Riserva will go nicely.

Welcome to the Wine Board, Antonio! It's nice to see someone else from Pennsylvania on here from time to time. Us PA guys have to keep a close eye on these guys from Maine! I guess you have to be careful not to drink too much Cabernet Sauvignon in a colder climate region- possibly freezes brain cells? <Hee hee hee....>

- winoweenie - 06-25-2000

Way to go Innkeeper. I couldn`t have said it clearer or louder my very own self. Naturally WC has come wif` some S.W. that would ruin the texture, harmony, and dynamics of this mahrvlous dish. Welcome Antonio to our board.I`m sure you`ll find bits and pieces of useful stuff every now and then mungst` our feeble group. I be back. Fire away guys. Winoweenie

- Bucko - 06-25-2000

This is one of the few times that I enjoy a big, full-blown, buttery CA Chard such as a Kistler -- Fettucinni Alfredo.

Bucko

- Thomas - 06-25-2000

Bucko, sometimes you are right on...I like Burgundy with Alfredo (white Burgundy, that is). Same with a carbonara.

- Innkeeper - 06-25-2000

Those of you recommending a non-Italian white must be used to whipping a decidedly non-Italian Alfredo Sauce, and a decidedly whimpy one at that.

- Jason - 06-25-2000

I gotta go with a contrast wine here.
Big buttery chard with Alfredo would send me looking for a tongue scraper. Italian whites are dry and high acid for a reason.
How about Gavi here?
Need something to cut through that cream, not magnify it.

- Thomas - 06-26-2000

Innkeeper, let's read your recipe.

Jason, normally I agree, but I have found that those thin, acidic whites simply do not stand up to the big creamy Alfredo. There are times when same beats contrast. By the way, Alfredo sauce was created in America by an Italian named, what else, Alfredo, or maybe by an Innkeeper named Carl.

- Innkeeper - 06-26-2000

TRADITIONAL ALFREDO SAUCE (aka Heartattack on a Plate): Red Wine Only.
6 tbl Butter
1/2 pt Heavy cream
1 C Grated Parmesan
Pepper mill
Melt butter in saucepan. Add cream and cheese and pepper to taste. Toss with hot pasta.

NO FAT ALFREDO SAUCE: Suitable for White Wine.
12 oz can Evaporated skim milk
1 tbl Cornstarch
1 tsp Molly McButter
2 tbl Grated nonfat Parmesan
White pepper mill
Dissolve cornstarch in two tablespoons milk in custard dish. Heat remaining milk in saucepan. Add dissolved cornstarch, Molly, cheese, and pepper to taste. Stir over medium low heat until sauce thickens. Toss with hot pasta.

- Thomas - 06-26-2000

Still looks like a big Chardonnay to me.

- winoweenie - 06-26-2000

IK,Your original looks super. I`d rather have the white-coats there with the scapel to start the quadruple-bypass than mess with the fat-free,no-taste,Goodyear subsitute outlined as an alternative. Give me a great 78 Guigal Cote Rotie with either and I`ll manage. Winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 06-26-2000

Winoweenie, just happen to have a 1981, JPA, "Les Fumelles" Cote-Rotie in my cellar. Come on up, and we'll do it.

- mrdutton - 06-26-2000

Mind if I join....... Even after all that food and more food on the cruise and in NYC, I'm ready to try your "heart-attack" Alfredo with the red wine. Sounds like a wonderful combination!

- winoweenie - 06-27-2000

IK, what a nice invite. Conversely if you eber be in Phoenix you have an open invitation to rape and pillage in my cellar. By the way, 81 wasn`t a great year in the Rhone and a couple of months ago we opened a bottle of 81 Guigal "La Mouline" & " La Ladonne". We didn`t throw the lil` suckers out, but they didn`t raise the hackles on my neck either. You mite want to drink that puppy before I can help. Winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 09-04-2000

Well, we popped the puppy tonight, and the timing was perfect. Thanks WW. It wasn't a great wine, but it was a wonderful one, lead capsule and all. Had it with dinner, French country sausage (made by butcher at our local coop), and salad with raspberry-hazelnut dressing. Because there was sediment all over the neck and sides of the bottle, we poured the whole thing through a coffee filter into a carafe. The wine was still brilliant red with only a hint of brown. It was perfectly smooth and complex, and lingered on the finish. We only get to do this sort of thing once or twice a year, and since nobody showed up to share it, and since summer was over, we did it! We still have a "La Chapelle", Hermitage from the same vintage. Any recommendations?

- winoweenie - 09-05-2000

IK Sounds like a great nite. The Chappelle should definately be ready too. Opened a 78 Guigal Hermitage with our Italian steak and pasta left-overs yesterday.A super bottle. Have some Cote Roties` of his left that are still evolving. winoweenie

- nashvlwineboy - 09-12-2000

my new favorite white is a Cuvaison chardonnay. an excellent white with great flavor and balance. not an excellent buy at around $20-$25 per bottle, but a worthwhile investment for a special occasion.

- eye10bar - 09-13-2000

Greetings from another Pa. Bar10der, all this talk about Alfredo and Reds and Whites has me hungry and thirsty, and till this debate is over i will be ordering a nice Windsor Manhatten Up-----My suggestion for red is Joseph Phelps Insignia Label, and my white would be a Santa Margaretta Pinot Griggio---Nice to meet all of you ,"Bar10der"