WineBoard
cheap - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: cheap (/thread-17086.html)

- karmills - 02-17-2005

Would any of you buy cheap wines like Turning Leaf or Gallo or Sutter Home?

Note: I especially like Pinot Grigio and White Zin

[This message has been edited by karmills (edited 02-17-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 02-17-2005

Welcome to the board. Come back often.
I used to buy Sutter Home White Zinfandel and the red Zinfandel but have moved on to other brands some time past. Gallo now makes a wide range of wines--not all in the cheap category. Some of their Cabernet Sauvignon from designated vineyards (Frei Ranch, Barelli Creek, etc.) is quite good. I don't buy Turning Leaf and usually pass it up if it is offered at a party. But each person needs to find their own taste. Among cheap wines I do buy--some Spanish Rioja in the $10-$12 category, Cote du Rhone wines,
German Riesling (Leitz Dragon Stone or Lingenfelder Bird Label) at about $15 or less. Some Australian shiraz for about $12-$15. Bogle Merlot.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-17-2005).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-17-2005

It should be noted that there's a definite distinction between cheap and inexpensive. The wines WoW mentioned, Riojas, Rhones, German Rieslings and Shiraz, may be inexpensive, but they're not cheap. The prices are low but the quality is very good. On the other hand, wines like Turning Leaf are generally made from grapes that come from vineyards in areas that aren't noted for growing exceptional grapes. Also, they tend to farm the vineyards to produce upwards of 10 to 14 tons of grapes per acre. The other wines mentioned are cropped to about 4 to 6 tons an acre, and that makes a difference. Overcropped vineyards produce grapes that aren't very concentrated in flavor which produces a thinner tasting wine. If you want to try some US wines that are quite good quality for the price, try something from Bogle. You'll find them about $10, and the difference in taste from Turning Leaf may astound you.

- Innkeeper - 02-17-2005

We just picked up some more 1999 Domaine du Mage, Vin de Pays des Cotes de Gascogne which is a blend of Merlot and Tennat and matches with a wide range of food, for $8. Then I saw they had the '00 for $6, and the props claimed it was just as good or better. Picked up one of those, and after tasting will go back for more of one or the other. The point is we are talking about $6 or $8 and talking about a high quality wine. There are dozens upon dozens of these things out there; you just have to look.

Incidentally, you may notice; we live in the boondocks.

- hotwine - 02-17-2005

Karmills, it's also worth noting that it's much easier to find bargain-priced imports than it is similarly priced domestic wines. For more examples of good imports, look down the thread listing and read tasting notes (TNs) for the last year or so under the headings of the different varietals. Spanish wines especially are excellent bargains right now, but there are many others.

- newsguy - 02-17-2005

karmills: i absolutely would not bother with wine from sutter home or turning leaf. gallo, however, is another story. now know that i'm talking about the gallo of sonoma line, which typically runs between $9 and $12 a bottle. these are generally outstanding wines (especially the cabernet sauvignon and the merlot) and are among the best values in the wine world, IMO. and they make a ton of these wines and they're very easy to find. if you're looking for a cab, try to get the '02 vintage. it might actually be a little more ready to drink than the '01. i've always found their pinot noir and chardonnay to be quite tasty, too.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-17-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 02-17-2005

There are some wonderful American bargains too. Today we also picked up a '99 Equus, Paso Robles, Grenache for $6. Thinking that it might be beginning to fade, asked for a taste first. It was just fine, better in fact that a Spanish Garnacha (also a Grenache) that we recently paid a whopping $.99 more for.