WineBoard
Why is there sediments in my bottles? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Why is there sediments in my bottles? (/thread-17081.html)

- njbusnet - 10-21-1999

I have many bottles of reds on my rack and recently i've noticed that all of the opened bottles have a large amount of dark sediments forming in the bottoms of each bottle. I opened these bottles several months ago (to taste them) and I recorked them. My question is 'what causes the sediments to form?' and "is it okay for me to drink it?'. Also, i've noticed a slight change in the taste of all the previously opened bottles. Is this normal?

- Tabby - 10-22-1999

No need to worry about the sediment in your bottles - if anything, sediment is a sign of quality - the winemaker is anxious not to lose any of those flavours to excess filtration.. The sediment consists of small particles of the grape stalks, etc...all entirely natural. If you spot sediment in a bottle before opening, it's always best to let the bottle stand for a few hours to allow it to settle, or alternatively decant the wine. You certainly don't want to end up with a mouthful of bitter sediment!

As to the change in the taste of your wines, how much of the bottle did you originally drink? A very tiny amount shouldn't make so much difference if you re-corked straight away...maybe someone else can advise?

- Thomas - 10-22-1999

Sediment in aging reds is common and not much about which to worry.

I do not advise opening bottles for the sake of tasting and recorking. You let in oxygen and you may also have taken too much wine out of the bottle, which will speed up the rest of the oxidation.

The only time I recork is after signs of precipitous ullage in aging bottles, which of course already indicates possible excess oxygen in the wine.

I am sure, however, someone on this board has reason to disagree with me, so wait for more posts and then decide who makes sense.

- Jerry D Mead - 10-22-1999

I don't recommend opening to taste and recorking either...same reasons stated above. Most modern wines are bottled in sealed system, oxygen protected bottling lines and purged with nitrogen or CO2...your opening the bottle defeats all that by letting oxygen in.

While it is less a problem for fortified wines (Port, Madiera, Sherry) with their higher alcohols...it is still not a good practice. The difference you are tasting is oxidation...usually a loss of fruit and sometimes picking up some metallic or pruney kinds of tastes.

If you must open to sample (or for bottles you open to drink but don't finish), I suggest you use a product called Private Preserve...It's basically an aerosol can of nitrogen/argon...which if you spurt into the bottle before recorking will act to protect it from oxygen. If you can't find it locally, it can be purchased through winetrader@aol.com

- glenora - 10-23-1999

Foodie

"I am sure, however, someone on this board has reason to disagree with me, so wait for more posts and then decide who makes sense."

Are you becoming a bit sensitive as you begin to develop the characteristics of an older (or more mature) bottle of wine?

- Thomas - 10-23-1999

Sensitive! Moi?

Not sensitive, just basing myself in reality; one or two on this board often rabidly disagree with me, and I did not want a new guy to think we hate one another.

Sensitive! I revel in a good fight--with words only, thank you very much...

- njbusnet - 10-24-1999

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I've certainly learned my lesson the hard way this time. As I have nearly 2 dozen semi-expensive bottles that I've opened in previous months for tasting that I've recorked only to have ruined (referring to taste) from oxidation! Oh well, live and learn.

- Jerry D Mead - 10-24-1999

Glad to help NJ...come back often...this group will always try to help in as positive a way as possible. JDM