WineBoard
White Zin - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: White Zin (/thread-17080.html)

- lynne1226 - 02-08-2006

I recently took a trip to Vegas and ate at Circo in the Bellagio. I had asked for a white zin and was told they do not carry it, so they gave me the closet thing that they had to it. I have been trying to remember the name of it and can not to save my life. I believe it began with a "B" but could be wrong. Can anyone suggest a wine that is close to white and maybe it will trigger my memory.

- wondersofwine - 02-08-2006

Hard to answer your question. They may have provided some "blush" (pink or rose') wine not from the Zinfandel grape. Perhaps you were serve a Beaujolais (French wine from the Gamay grape). Do either of those answers sound familiar?

Welcome to the board. Also, if you enjoyed the substitute wine at Bellagio, maybe you are ready to branch out and try some more sophisticated wines.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-08-2006).]

- lynne1226 - 02-09-2006

It was their house wine. I should just call there and ask. Yes it was a blush wine. I just need to find something to take out to a resturant for V-day dinner. I do not like dry wines and would prefer a sweet wine. Is there any other close to a zin that you may suggest?

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2006

Not all White Zin is plonk. Buehler, Napa Valley is my favorite. Beringer's is usually pretty good too.

- lynne1226 - 02-09-2006

I really think Bulher is what we had. Thank you very much that really rings a bell. Now I just have to find a place in PA that sells it!

- Oenotheque - 02-17-2006

Try some rieslings designated as aulese. JJ Prum is a respectable start. They will have the sweetness you like with more of the complexity that you will grow to love as a wine drinker.

- Oenotheque - 02-17-2006

If you decide that it is the fruit that you like and not necessarily heavy sweetness, then it is time to try New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Great values as well. Matua is a consistent easy to find quaffer as is Villa Maria.

- robr - 02-17-2006

Whoaa there! From sweet blush and reislings to sauvignon blanc? That's a big leap, in my opinion! Something a little tamer might be more to her liking, such as a buttery chardonnay.

- Deputy - 02-17-2006

Butteriness in Chards tends to come from MLF or oak?

If it comes from oak, I'm guessing that someone that likes fruitiness wouldn't like the oak part, no?

- Innkeeper - 02-17-2006

There are some Chards that have been Maled, but are low in oak. Can't think of any off the top of my head. The butter comes from the Mal.

- Kcwhippet - 02-17-2006

Toad Hollow is a Chard that has gone through MLF, but is done is stainless steel - so it sees no oak. Used to be one of our faves, until we met Kim Crawford Unoaked Chard from NZ. Now they're a tossup - depends which we're having.

- lynne1226 - 02-20-2006

Thank you for all your help. I will try all of your suggestions. I ended up just getting Berringer to take to our dinner.