WineBoard
2 Buck Chuck (Cab) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 2 Buck Chuck (Cab) (/thread-17069.html)

- MontereyRick - 02-10-2003

Knowing that I have a wine cellar and an affinity for wines, my mother in law thought she'd have some fun by bringing me a couple of bottles of the Charles Shaw Cab aka "Two Buck Chuck" that she bought at Trader Joe's for $1.99 when they stayed at our house for the AT&T Golf Tourney this past weekend.

You know what?? it isn't bad. I've had tons of $12-15 wine that I didn't enjoy nearly as much. The best way to describe it is "easy to drink" and "nothing annoying or offensive" about it.

- Kcwhippet - 02-10-2003

I have a few friends out in CA, from wine novice up, who've tried it and they all said it wasn't too bad, also. However, to a person they all gave up up on it after only a few bottles. One friend boght a case around Christmas. He said after three bottles he's planning to gift out the rest of the case to folks that are even less knowledgable than he is. Personally, I haven't had it yet, so I can't give an informed opinion.

- Thomas - 02-10-2003

In this part of the world Trader Joe's has Blackstone wines at 6.99 a bottle--they ain't so bad either but I swear, after two glasses I simply lose interest in the stuff.

Maybe the Trader is in cahoots with anti drinking people and they have figured out how to create wines that lessen our interest!!!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-10-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 02-10-2003

Foodie where are the Trader Joe's in your neck of the woods?

- marleyplaydead - 02-10-2003

is two buck chuck available in nyc?

- Kcwhippet - 02-10-2003

There are a bunch of them here in MA.

- Thomas - 02-11-2003

IK, Trader is in Westfield, NJ.

- wondersofwine - 02-11-2003

Had the Blackstone Napa Valley Merlot at a wine tasting at the Fort Bragg Officers' Club. I liked it best of three merlots I tried that night. I'm told it retails for about $16. Hadn't tried the regular Blackstone Merlot yet but would guess that the Napa Valley is worth the extra dollars.
Has anyone tried both and have an opinion on the quality difference?

- Botafogo - 02-11-2003

One of our regular customers got a big laugh here when he came in raving about the Merlot as being "Absolutely the best red wine ever made...out of Cherry Sucrets!"!!!! It has that faint metallic smack of artificial acidity that you get when you have to pour Tartaric Acid out of 50lb bags into overcropped juice to give it any structure at all.

One of our friendly competitors, Randy Kemner of Wine Country in Signal Hills, did a big muckraking story in his newsletter about how instead of being such a great deal they are actually RIPPING YOU OFF by dressing up with bottles and corks the same wine you can buy at 30% of that cost per ounce in bag in the boxes...

Roberto

- marleyplaydead - 02-11-2003

i have tried both blackstones and while both are good, the napa is markedly better. actually it was divine with a ground beef on sweet potato pastry dish that included cinnamon, cardamon, ginger, cumin, currants, all spice, tumeric, onions and walnuts.