WineBoard
bottle markings. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: bottle markings. (/thread-16972.html)

- Eoin - 12-29-2002

Well this is kind of a random question. My best friend is a recent graduate of the CIA and one of the things he picked up when there was a rather good knowledge of wines. He was talking the other day about these labels that certain makers (italian i believe) can put on a limited number of bottles that state they are the best ones of the year n what not.

what are they called again and what do they look like?

- Eoin - 01-01-2003

can no one help!?

- Bucko - 01-01-2003

Never heard of such a thing........

- Drew - 01-02-2003

Just shows don't believe what the CIA tells ya... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

DRew

- Kcwhippet - 01-02-2003

I haven't heard of what you're describing, either. We have some very nice wines in the Italian section of our shop, and none of them have any such special labels. Maybe Roberto or Foodie might have an idea.

- Thomas - 01-02-2003

This subject likely falls into the camp of someone with a little knowledge saying something that is a half truth to someone who has less knowledge and so, by the time it gets to us the question makes little sense.

I have a feeling, Eoin, your friend might have been referring to special stickers like the Chianti Rooster or perhaps those number stickers that mean little more than a serial number of authenticity.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-02-2003).]

- Eoin - 01-24-2003

no no...these markings are true. each wine distributor is only allowed a certain amount per batch and they mark what they consider to be the better bottles.

sorry for the late reply. he knows his stuff...and it wasn't just him, he and his friend andrew were talking about it--he spent the last 7 months in italy cooking at his girlfriend's family hotel. These things exist i know! I'm probably just stupid and not describing it correctly...all i can really say is that it was a little tag that wrapped around the top of the bottle neck, i think it was light blue and only about 1/3 an inch wide.

[This message has been edited by Eoin (edited 01-24-2003).]

- girlperson1 - 01-25-2003

I just checked in my CIA professional cookbook and all it really says about wine is:

"if it's not suitable for drinking, it's not suitable to cook with" the book also advises that unused wine be refrigerated to slow the oxidation process.

That's about it. There was nothing else mentioned in the book regarding special seals or other identifiable markings for certain grades or qualities of wine.

But then, this is strictly a cook book and could very well be lacking in some details.

- Eoin - 01-26-2003

Ahh well I finally found out what they were.

They are PINK labels apparently and the marking on it is either "D.O.C" or "D.O.C.G"

DOC being the initials for some national wine association type thing (my friend gave me the actual words but i forgot). Not all good wines have them, but it is something to go by for us uneducated I guess. But each maker has a certain amount for each batch. DOC being wines he thinks are going to be very good and the DOCG being even better the G standing for GRAND.

thanks kind of.

- dananne - 01-26-2003

Italy regulates the use of regional wine names like France's AOC. Italy's system of controlling demonination of origin is Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC). This is an attempt to ensure the style authenticity of wines having famous regional names by regulating things like permitted grapes, yields, minimum alcohol content, vinification techniques, etc. The DOCG is a stricter appellation rank. The "G" stands for Garantita, which I believe means guaranteed. These have even stricter yield limitations, longer aging requirements, and other things to ensure even greater quality.

Hope this is helpful!

- Thomas - 01-28-2003

Yeah but, producers and distributors don't get a limited supply of the stickers...which is what I meant in the first place when I said it was a confused question.

The wines have to adhere to the regulations, then the sticker goes on the bottle, and I don't think producers have to use a sticker (that may be a regional requirement); they can print the DOC right on the label.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-28-2003).]