WineBoard
Best red wine under $20? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Best red wine under $20? (/thread-16904.html)

- Danielle - 07-19-2001

Hello~ i am truly glad i found this site. i am trying to buy my boyfriend a nice red wine for a romantic evening... his favorite types of wines seem to be Chardonnay & Merlot... he favors Mondavi, but i want to pick out something a little more elegant & sophisticated, you know, so i can show what good taste i have? i have never picked out wine before & i am not too familar with popular wineries. so any help in helping me choose a nice, full-bodied Merlot or Chardonnay would be excellent! thanks.

- highpockets - 07-19-2001

Hi Danielle and welcome to the wonderful world of wine! For under 20 bucks you have some options. You mention Chard. and Merlot. The first question is, what will you be serving for food (if any food at all). My fiance and I prefer a nice Cabernet from the Alexander Valley for a romantic evening. We need to know more details... Chard for fish and poultry, the Merlot for beef, lamb, etc.

- Botafogo - 07-19-2001

If you REALLY want VALUE for your $20, make sure none of the following words appear on the label:

Chardonnay, Napa Valley, Merlot, Sonoma Valley, Cabernet.

All of these are seen by both producers and marketers as excuses to charge more money. If you can get off the beaten path both geographically and varietally, you will get TWICE the wine for your money. Try a great Barbera d'Asti, a Cote du Rhone from a top vintage, a South African Bordeaux style blend, some Salice Salentino or an Argentinian Malbec and you'll get MUCH more bang for your buck.

Cheers and happy hunting, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 07-19-2001).]

- Danielle - 07-19-2001

no food, just the wine. so far, so good... keep the tips coming, i'm slowly catching on. what about Kendall-Jackson, Kenwood or Meridian? any good? (i was browsing at the grocery store!)

- Innkeeper - 07-20-2001

All those brands have one or more of the words Roberto mentioned on the label. Not that they don't make ANY decent wine, and if you're just quaffing may work for you. Meridian Chardonnay is considered by some one of the best chardonnay values going. It is well laced with new oak, making it difficult to match with food other than something like a roast chicken dripping with butter. Kenwood and Kendall-Jackon also make some good stuff. Using the search function, you can find TNs on some of them here.

The answer to your question, "what is the best red wine for under the $20", is Chateau Les Fiefs De Lagrange, St Julien. This Bordeaux is a blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and cabernet franc. The only problem is you can't drink it for a while. Well, you can, but it won't be as good as it gets. Lower priced Bordeaux wines; those that say "Appelation Bordeaux Controlee" on the label and run $10 to $15, can be consumed right away, and almost always give you a better value that California Cabernet or Merlot at the same price.

- hotwine - 07-20-2001

I picked up one bottle of Les Fiefs '98 yesterday for $15.99. Also bought some Barberas, Seghesio and Giacosa, for $11.99 and $13.99, resp.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 07-20-2001).]

- barnesy - 07-21-2001

Since she wanted merlot, and everyone here is inclined to tell her Italian. Why not give her the names of some of the Italian Merlots IK has been drinking and Foodie has been selling. Danielle, if you check under both the Italian and Merlot threads you should find the info you're looking for. Look back like 100 days. That should do it.

And, on a side note, You did mention Chardonnay (which is a white wine). If you want a chard under 20 that will knock you're socks off, find the Rosemount Orange Vineyard Chardonnay. It should be pretty readily available in most wine shops that carry a good line of Rosemount. Its wonderful drink, and probably quite different from many of the California ones you've been drinking.

Barnesy

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 07-21-2001).]

- winoweenie - 07-21-2001

Danni-Girl, I think my compatriots on the board are missing the pernt. 2 of the really neat Merlots on the market haven't been discussed. The 99 Bogle is a lovely drink that explodes with brite cherry fruit and at under 9 bucks, a literal steal.The other is the 99 Cline, again under 10 is a super slupper. SAometimes in their exhuberance to bash eeny-thin' domestic they ferget we-uns produce some super P/Q wines. WW And both in national supply!

- hotwine - 07-21-2001

I didn't miss the point. But I'm with IK and Roberto - 20 bucks buys a helluva lot better juice from France or Italy (or Germany or Austria or Spain) than it does from California. I've bought three cases over the last month, and only ONE BOTTLE was from CA - a '97 Mount Veeder cab, just this morning. And I kept thinking on the way home that the $38 it cost would have bought TWO bottles of Les Fiefs de Lagrange.

Nah, you guys with vested interests in CA juice can keep floggin' that mule all you want; in my book, it's no contest.

- Thomas - 07-23-2001

Hear, hear and here, here--Hotwine

By the way, Formentini and Felluga are two Italian Merlot names for which to look...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-23-2001).]

- Danielle - 07-23-2001

Well i wish to thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me & for helping to answer my question. now the only bad thing is that i just broke up with my boyfriend & i have no one to buy wine for!! oh well, he was much too inconsiderate & dishonest & old for my tastes anyways. other than that bitterness, i guess i can just get some nice vino for myself & enjoy it without him. i do have more Q's to ask but that will be another post, i suppose.

- hotwine - 07-23-2001

Easy come, easy go, Danielle. Now you'll have the opportunity to develop your own tastes in wines. Enjoy.