WineBoard
FAVORITE WINE - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: FAVORITE WINE (/thread-16891.html)

- winecellarboy - 01-02-2003

I'm new to this board and would like to see more ongoing discussions. This is a great site.

What is everyone's favorite everyday wine? If you could only choose one to drink, what would it be? (not expensive Margaux Margaux or Chateau Palmers, but everyday kind of wine)

My current favorite is Catena Chardonnay. Would love suggestions/thoughts from others

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2003

Hi WCB, and welcome to the Wine Board. Our fearless leader Bucko is a CDP person, and hopefully can help you with your other question. Based on what I ordered most this past year, the favorite would be Staley's Dry Creek Valley Mourvedre. Might have bought more of others if available such as Marcella's Rosso Piceno.

- hotwine - 01-02-2003

I couldn't name one I'd prefer to the exclusion of all others. Fortunately, it's a non-issue. But just a few that I enjoy frequently: Cline Syrah, Deerfield Ranch SB and Zin, Fat Bastard Shiraz, Dom. de la Rossignole Sancerre, several Bordeaux, Tommasi PG, now also Ripasso, Wolf Blass CS, Falling Star Malbec.....each has its place and time.

- joeyz6 - 01-02-2003

Recently, Cave de Rasteau Côtes du Rhone-Villages.

- winoweenie - 01-02-2003

Hi there WCBoy and welcome to the board. As you will find from my posts, my VERY favorite wine must meet 3 criteria; Red, Redder, and Reddist.Glada' have you aboard,and jump in enny' time youse feel like it. HNY. WW

- Thomas - 01-02-2003

Without exception, my favorite wine is the one I am consuming, provided it meets my liking...

- winecellarboy - 01-03-2003

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to venture out to the store to try some of the ones all of you listed that I have not tasted yet.

Hotwine, I must admit that I was very disappointed with the Wolf Blass CS Yellow Label. Everyone's tastes are different, but I tried it last week and I actually couldn't even drink it. I must sadly admit it is in my cupboard as a cooking wine so it doesn't go to waste. I was surprised since it got such wonderful recommendations from friends, articles, etc. I did however really like the SIMI Alexander Valley CS. Very nice.

I opened up a Col. Crest Merlot last night. Very nice quality for the price.

- wondersofwine - 01-03-2003

My favorite everyday white would be a German Riesling Kabinett or Spatlese, probably from the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region such as Ockfener Bockstein (Saar) or Urziger Wurzgarten (Mosel) or Wehlener Sonnehuhr (Mosel). Second to that would be a Sancerre white (Loire Valley of France from the sauvignon blanc grape). My everyday red might be a Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Zinfandel or a shiraz or cabernet/shiraz/merlot blend from Australia (such as Sarah's Blend from Marquis-Phillips). These wines are under $20 a bottle.

- Kcwhippet - 01-03-2003

WCB, If you didn't like the Wolf Blass to drink why would use it to cook with? The same characteristics you didn't like before are going to be evident in the dish you make with it, more so if you use it to make a reduction sauce.

- dananne - 01-03-2003

My favorite everyday drinkers are mostly reds: Domaine de Blagueurs Syrah (Bonny Doon), A Mano Primitivo, Cline Syrah, Bodegas Eguren Codice Rioja, Abadia Retuerta Rivola, and Bodegas Y Vinedos del Jalon Vina Alarba Grenache (best bargain at $7 a bottle). For an everyday white, I love Domaine du Pouy, which I believe is an Ugni Blanc and is fantastic at $9 year in and year out.

- bellarose - 01-15-2003

bella rose....sweet.......cheap......but not cheap tasting.........GOOD!

- stevebody - 01-22-2003

WCD,

Let me chime in with a more literal interp or "everyday", meaning, as my customers usually define it, a wine that costs very little, delivers a fat PVQ ratio, and pairs up well with a variety of foods.

For whites, a absolutely LOVE this little Italian Greco/Malvasia thing from Botromagno called Gravina. Parker, in the Advocate, givces is 88 points and it costs, usually, about $7. Also amazing at that price is an obscure Spanish called Basa, a crisp, dry, slightly buttery thing from the far North. For a little more, try the Chappelet Dry Chenin Blanc, a killer Chenin from one of CA's best mid-tier houses. Lastly, look for a beautiful Soave called San Vincenzo from an Italian compsny called Anselmi. They make a lot of it and it's normally about $8.

In reds, as a food wine, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Francis Ford Coppola Rosso, an odd, hearty blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet, Syrah, and Zinfandel. It's around $8 and stands up to spicy sauces beautifully, but is really fine with grilled meats. For a bit more $$, try the Allende Rioja, a knockout Spanish wine about $15. It's more punchy than a trad Rioja and has a nice, clean acidity. For just plain dazzling sipping, try the Charles Cimicky Trumps collection, especially the Shraz-Grenache and the 100% Grenache. Flawless and about $10.

Last, a sparkling that I resisted trying for months because I despise the winery's stuff, ordinarily but the Carta Nevada from Freixenet is a steal for about $6 and shows flat-out beautiful Chardonnay grapes with a good, persisent bubble. Just clean and quaffable stuff.

- Glass_A_Day - 01-22-2003

ANything from Elyse if I have $25 burning a hole in my pocket...especially the 00 Zin. For value I still am drinking much of the 00 Midnight Cellars Full Moon. A blend of Syrah, Zin, and Cab. At $11 it is a good value.

- Kcwhippet - 01-22-2003

Another to add to the mix is the Cline California Zinfandel. It regularly retails for under $10, and it's always loaded with gobs of fruit. Besides being a good sipper, it goes well with a wide range of simple, hearty foods - burgers, pizza, pasta.