WineBoard
What's your view? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What's your view? (/thread-16843.html)

- wineguruchgo - 07-01-2007

I read an interview given by a local retailer here in Sacramento. He is so disgusted with wineries pumping up the alcohol in red wines that he refuses to buy wines over 14.5% alcohol for his store.

I totally agree with him. I'm tired of feeling wiped out after 2 glasses of wine that are so high in alcohol they should be considered port!!

It's also disturbing to me (studying for the MS) that Burgundian producers are breaking the law and sneaking Syrah into their Pinot's so Robert Parker will rate them. How am I going to get to know these wines if they are cheating? I'll never pass this test!

I would like your opinions. All are welcome.

- brappy - 07-01-2007

It's Darrel's shop. He can run it anyway he pleases. Seems silly to me though. There is a great amount of wine out there with higher than 14.5% alc. But, there is also a load of great wine with less than 14.5%.

I couldn't imagine what in my cellar I'd have to get rid of to comply with such a "rule". No more Cali Zins, Napa Cabs, Aussie... well just about everything except Western Oz, New world Spain, new world Italy, a load of Central Coast Cali, and many others.

Then, there's always the issue of what's being printed on the label and what's in the juice.

But like I said, It's his store. He's been into wine longer than I've been alive. So I respect Mr. Corti's decision.

But I certainly won't let a little thing like alcohol come between me and some great juice.

As to your other comment, Robert Parker doesn't rate Burgundy. Not the first time I've heard that rumor, but it simply is not logical.

mark

Well I hate to tell you that you are wrong when it comes to Mr. Parker.

Yes, he loves the Rhone Valley, but he's very influential in Burgundy as well.

Here is a book that I got from Amazon.com

Burgundy: A Comprehensive Guide to the Producers, Appellations, and Wines
Robert M. Parker

They are breaking the laws for his approval.

Rent the movie Mondovino.

- brappy - 07-01-2007

Parker hasn't rated Burgundy since '96. The book in which you refer to is old. I don't believe there is even a tasting note past '90, but I could be wrong. Since '96, Pierre Rovani did all Burgundy tastings up until this past year. This past year was tasted by Dave Schildknecht.

Dave's taste are for higher acid wines. He also tastes Germany, Austria, other eastern Europian countries, East coast United States including New York, New Zealand, and Champagne besides Burgundy. I'm not sure, but I believe he also tastes from the Loire. At present, Parker tastes Rhone, Bordeaux, and California.

The rumor in which you refer to has been around for a long time. I've heard it in reference to Burgundy (which you've stated), Bordeaux, California, Australia, and Spain. Of course these rumors and speculations are told to me every few months with a diferent region or country in the place that you quoted "Burgundy".

As to whether the Burgundians are breaking the law, I've no idea if this is true or not. I do know that in other places, some winemakers are giving thier Pinots more color and concentration by adding a small amount of Syrah. I do not know how wide spread this is.

mark

- Drew - 07-01-2007

wineguruchgo, I do agree with you on wines over 15% that I try not to buy them. My local wine store called me the other day asking if I wanted them to put aside some '06 Mollydooker wines that they had a limited supply, Boxer (Shiraz),
Two left feet (Blend) and the Skateboarder (Merlot). They're all 16%...I told them no. It's about balance, not extraction.

Drew

- Thomas - 07-01-2007

Guru,

It's been a "well-known secret" that the Burgundians, as well as other French regions, have been breaking laws for centuries by adding outside wine to their products--sometimes the wine has come from other countries.

- Innkeeper - 07-01-2007

From what I've read over the years the EU has done good things for Burgundy Wine. The Burgundians have been racked with scandal over the years. If you wonder why there is suddenly a lot of Sicilian wine on the market that wasn't there before, it is because they can't ship it to Burgundy by tank car anymore.

The folks in Burgundy (particularly the larger producers) with their erratic growing seasons, will still do what is necessary to get their wines to market and get them bought.

- winoweenie - 07-01-2007

All of the above comments are with merit. As I've stated many times on this board I could buy a vineyard with amount of Burgandy I've poured in the terlit over the years. I certainly agree that these high alky monsters aren't good for much other than a rapacious hangover, but I have had several 15+ wines that were very enjoyable because they were balanced. As I've gotten older(and older) it seems my tastes are more in tune with wine with whiskers. It's easy to pick out a good drinking bottle after spending 10 years mellowing. Out of balance wines show their character immediately. As far as Darryl is concerned, it be his store, his money, and he, as far as I'm concerned, can sell Bavarian Licorice schnapps exclusively. He'll find out soon enough how much support he has. WW

I am loving all the "history lessons" here! It's great!

I'll take all the little tidbits you have!!

Drew I absolutely agree with you. It is all about balance. If you have a wine that is deep and rich and not over extracted you really won't care if the alcohol is 14% or 16%.

If you really do care about the alcohol content then you are in the wrong aisle. Spirits are in aisle 12B.

- Thomas - 07-01-2007

Balance is of course the key, but 16% alcohol does tend to slow down the intake--if it doesn't, there may be hell to pay...

Also, on its own, a wine may be balanced with high alcohol. But put it next to food, and often the alcohol makes a play for center stage.