WineBoard
trip to california - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: trip to california (/thread-16826.html)

- joeyz6 - 07-12-2002

I was in San Luis Obispo last weekend for a couple of days (had a very nice '99 J. Lohr Cabernet), and I'm going back in August -- not only there, but also possibly to Napa for a day or two. First of all, has anyone toured any vineyards in SLO County? Paso Robles, for example? I'd appreciate any recommendations.
Also, is there an affordable way to get a taste of Napa? I have to admit, I am a little intimidated by it. When I went to vineyards in France, it was always so friendly and rustic, and usually free, although I admit I only went on two trips. I've heard that Napa is beautiful, but also commercial and expensive. But maybe that isn't true. Any advice on how a poor student can enjoy this region?
Also, if there are vineyards to visit that are in the areas of San Diego, LA, or closer to San Francisco than Napa, I would love any tips on those as well.
Thanks,
-Joe

- winoweenie - 07-13-2002

Hi Joey. I haven't spent anytime in Temecula since the sharp-shooter invasion. IK was there 5 or so ago and can give you the current scoop. ( An easy drive from San Diego.) As far as SLO is concerned there are as many options as you've fingers and toes. Go to the Courtesy info office and they can point out the various rouites to see the maximum amount of wineries in the least amount of time on each trip. Napa's another matter. If you're driving in from San Fran you can spend some time exploring Carneros, IMHO, one of the hidden routes on the wine trail. Especially neat is Truchard who makes bunches of tremendous wines. Even along hiway 29 there are many outstanding wineries that welcome visitors and don't charge for sips. Bell,Newlan,Franus/Havens,Crichton Hall,Napa Cellars,Cakebread, Turnbull,Sequoia Grove,Sawyer,St. Supery,Peju, and you 'aint even to St. Helena yet. And if you stay away from the rich and famous, you can find some killer restaurants where the locals eat, and most locals are as busted as any student. Any-whos, post before you go, give an idea how long you'll grace them with your presence, and I'll give more definative answers. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- joeyz6 - 07-13-2002

Sounds great, WW, I'll post again before I depart.
Thanks.
-Joe

- Innkeeper - 07-14-2002

In Paso Robles start with Tobin James, for great wine, knowledgeable staff, and a taste of the Wild West. Heading back to town is EOS which has lovely wine and a fabulous tasting room. Next is Eberle. Also great wine, and be sure to tour the caves they have carved out for aging wine and other activity. Back in town, have lunch at Cahoots. Head southwest and stop at Peachy Canyon where you can decide which of six different zins at almost the same price you like best. Then there is the Bonny Doon tasting room where you can try the wines, buy herbs, and pet the goats. Since you are almost in Templeton, go to McFees for dinner. Get a free wine map from www.pasowine.com or e-mail at info@pasowine.com.

In Temecula my favorite stop is Mount Polomar Winery. Just popped their '97 Meritage last night; wonderful. Nice cheese and crackers in the gift shop to bring back to your room. Stop at Callaway for an interesting tour, and a taste of wines you can actually buy elsewhere. Hart Winery is another good stop. Look for chenin blanc in the valley. They do very well with it there. It is usually off dry like off dry Vouvrays. Recently quaffed a CB from Maurice Car'rie Winery that had RS to the tune of 85 gr/100 litters. They will send a free map from their site at www.temeculawines.org.

- joeyz6 - 08-14-2002

Well, I'm off for California tomorrow. As it turns out, the Northern Cali segment of the trip will consist of a day spent in Sonoma with a family friend, who is going to show me some vineyards there. However, I'll be in San Francisco for about a week and could possibly make one or two day trips somewhere (Carneros, etc.?). Any recommendations/changes from previous recommendations?

Otherwise, I'll be following WW's and IK's advice and taking a day trip from San Diego to Temecula (my cousin is taking me to the Tecate brewery in Mexico, too). Also, I'll have about a week in SLO, so I can try out Bonny Doon and those others. There's an outside chance I could hop down to Santa Barbara County or up to Monterey for a day trip.

If anyone has any other tips or advice, that would be great! Otherwise I'll be sure to post about how the trip goes.

Thanks for the help, as always.

-Joe

- wondersofwine - 08-14-2002

Chateau Julien in Carmel Valley has a tasting room and wine-related gifts. See www.chateaujulien.com. Bargetto has a tasting room near Monterey Bay Aquarium (or did a couple years ago on my last visit). I may get to California myself in September (a couple nights in San Diego and five or six nights in Monterey/Carmel area.) Trying to figure out how I could also work in a stay at Deloach Guesthouse in Sonoma but right now it looks like that's too far away from my other appointments.

- joeyz6 - 08-19-2002

Started off my wine travels in Temecula today. It was wonderful. The weather was perfect and most of the wineries I visited were quaint and had very nice, knowledgable people working there. We went to eight different wineries! (Hey, you never know when you're going to get back). IK, I completely agreed with you; Mount Palomar was my favorite as well. Callaway wasn't bad, although it was on the commercial side, as was Wilson Creek and Thornton. Hart was great. I loved the sign outside that said, "NO SWEET WINES." And there were some others mixed in there ...

Anyhow, there is a question at the end of this dribble. I bought a wine from Mount Palomar, their '99 Trovato. This is obviously a Bordeaux blend, and it seems to be the Italian equivolent of Meritage -- just a local name for the blend. So why was an American winery making a wine called Trovato? The confusion for me resulted from the fact that they also make a Meritage that tastes very different. Thanks for any input.

- joeyz6 - 08-19-2002

I guess this thread belongs in the wine country touring category. Maybe someone could switch it?

- Innkeeper - 08-20-2002

Didn't taste the Trovato. What grapes are listed on the bottle? Sounds like there should be some Italian or Spanish ones in it. The meritage is cabernet sauvigonon, cabernet franc, and merlot. Loved it, bought it, and subsequently drank it. Loved it some more.

- joeyz6 - 08-22-2002

Checked out the bottle. As it turns out, there is Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot & Cab Franc in it, plus Sangiovese. So it's like the Meritage plus Sangiovese. I got a little confused because the guy just said it was "like an Italian Bordeaux blend," or something.
I liked the Meritage too, but the Sangiovese definitely added a softer character that I enjoyed as well. I only had enough $$ for one, and it came down to those two ... opted for the Trovato.
On to Sonoma next week.
Best,
-Joe
PS: IK, what did you taste or buy (if anything) at Hart? I got a bottle of the Merlot, which they said to age at least five years. Just wondering if you might have some input on that.

- joeyz6 - 09-13-2002

I must thank WW and IK for their recommendations. I just got back from my month-long trip to California, five days of which were spent touring wine country. It was great. After Temecula, I spent a day in Sonoma, where I visited Dry Creek Vineyards, Pezzi King, Lambert Bridge, Armida, Rochioli, Davis Bynum, Martini & Prati, and the K-J Wine Center. Sonoma was stunning.

Down in San Luis Obispo I did a little tasting in town -- Seven Peaks, Talley, Domaine Alfred and Edna Valley. Then I spent two days in Paso Robles, visiting Tobin James, EOS, Eberle, J. Lohr, Justin, Carmody McNight, Le Cuvier, Wild Horse, Turley Cellars, Mastuantuono, York Mountain, Bonny Doon, Doce Robles, Midnight Cellars and, last but certainly not least, Hunt Cellars.

Phew.

Paso is pretty impressive, certainly becoming a player on the Cali wine scene. The Zin was great, especially.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips, and if anyone is heading out to any of those locations sometime soon or was interested in more details, email me or post. I'd be happy to offer my impressions. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

-Joe

- Innkeeper - 09-14-2002

Sounds like a great trip Joe. Hope to head west again in January or February. Maybe get up into the Foothills this time. Did you join the James Gang?

- joeyz6 - 09-14-2002

Is that their wine club? Nope, I'm still way too poor. They have some good juice, though.